Custom Action Choice

Goldy300

I am not sure if this is the right place to post or not. But I am trying to decide on a custom action. This rifle build will be either a 25 or 6.5 Creed. I want to build fairly light, most likely 24" Bartlein #3 fluted. My hold up is the action. I want something that is cut for a Wyatt's box as I do hand load long bullets. Also I would like something with a small firing pin because I will be using Lapua SRP brass. Does anyone have any action recommendations?

I am not sure if this is the right place to post or not. But I am trying to decide on a custom action. This rifle build will be either a 25 or 6.5 Creed. I want to build fairly light, most likely 24" Bartlein #3 fluted. My hold up is the action. I want something that is cut for a Wyatt's box as I do hand load long bullets. Also I would like something with a small firing pin because I will be using Lapua SRP brass. Does anyone have any action recommendations?
For a 25 or 6.5 Creedmoor, if I had the choice of any action made, I would choose a Surgeon.

Finding what you want in stock is the trick! I have 4..Lone Peak Razor..Curtis..Surgeon
and a Rebel and they all work? I can't say I like one the best.
A Bat next?

I don't know what your budget is. Dakota actions have a very good rep and I know a couple guys with them that love them. I personally wanted a Sako action on my custom, but they no longer sell just actions and I wasn't willing to pay the price of a new Sako just to pull the action. Being left handed, and set on stainless and an action long enough for the 7mm STW I settled for buying a used Browning with only 9 rounds through it for about 2/3 the price of a new one. I had it worked over by a good local gunsmith (the only one I've ever used I would recommend for anything more complicated than I can do myself) and have been very happy with it. I know Browning actions aren't common for custom builds, but it is smooth as silk and will shoot well under 1/2 MOA out at 800 (3 inch groups). Obviously the barrel and other components affect accuracy also. But for my budget I had it built on the factory stock with a Hart barrel for well under $2000. It would shoot great off of sandbags like that, but the factory stock was too flexy and when I put a bipod on it if I leaned into the rifle it would bow the stock up and touch the barrel. I missed a nice whitetail 3 times at 450 because of this, so bad it didn't even scare the rutted up buck and I was able to move and figure out what the problem was and drop him! After that I put a Macmillan on it and have been very happy.

You can spend a lot of money on a custom action or you can find a factory action you like and will fit your requirements and then pay a quality gunsmith to work it over. If you're on a budget price them both before you decide.

I don't know a lot about Wyatt boxes, but a quality gunsmith should be able to tell you if they will work with any action you choose.

Lots of great actions but the defiance action whom make a lot of other actions for companies and the custom service I've had with them is worth the little bit of extra money.

But a lot of great actions out there.

For a $1000 I think it's really hard to beat the kelbly atlas tactical action. If you are going to run standard BDL bottom metal order it from kelblys with feed lips.
This. I have shot several rifles built on Kelbly Atlas Tac actions. I liked them so much, my new 25SST is being built on one. $900-950 new, with pinned recoil lug and 20MOA rail, fully Melonited.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.