Custom 6.5-284 feeding/box issues, please help

Jeffrthehunter

I have a 6.5-284 with Defiance action, Hawkins bottom metal, and a center feed with Wyatt's box. Having trouble with rounds sticking is box. I like to hunt with the chamber empty and three in the box, have been doing this with all my rifles. On my 6.5-284 the top cartridge jams with three in the box (pull the bolt back to load the first round and cartridge is stuck down in box), only two in the box and it seems ok. Wyatt's recommended cutting and re-welding box as it is a little to wide for the 6.5-284. So i did that and tried working on the feed lips but it's just not reliable enough, Wyatt's box is going to the scrap yard. So my question is, should I stick with the Hawkins bottom metal and try a different box (also maybe new spring and follower)? My other thought is to go with a H.S. Precision low profile magazine, I have them on two other rifles and it works great(but very expensive). I just want something that will be super reliable, no feed issues!!!!

Thank you for any thoughts

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.