Curing a Blink

sbruni

So I do not have a flinch. I can dry fire all day long and hold the crosshairs pretty steady. For those guns that are capable I can hold 1/2 MOA pretty well till I'm worn out. But I do blink. I've tried dry firing a bit but I still blink on impact of the firing pin. Anyone have thoughts on how to cure this?

So I do not have a flinch. I can dry fire all day long and hold the crosshairs pretty steady. For those guns that are capable I can hold 1/2 MOA pretty well till I'm worn out. But I do blink. I've tried dry firing a bit but I still blink on impact of the firing pin. Anyone have thoughts on how to cure this?
Cover your off eye and practice, practice, practice.

You just have to convince yourself there's no reason to blink and that you have to keep your eye open in order to see the impact.

As for dry firing and flinching, that's not a way to determine if you have a flinch. When dry firing you know there's no kick coming so all you are working on is your trigger pull/control. It doesn't play into solving any issues with flinching or even determining if you have a flinch.

Are you shooting a rifle that you are scared of? My brother in law was over 300 lbs. and flinched every time he pulled the trigger. He was shooting a 300 mag and scared to death of it. I think a blink could be caused by the same issue. You said you can hold 1/2 moa on guns that are capable but are you blinking with all of em or just one? If it's caused by one rifle, then stay away from it.

I've got a bunch of rifles and I'm pretty comfortable with the recoil on all of them. I could be shooting a 22 and I'd still blink. I blink when I'm dry firing. Something mental... just not sure how to shake it short of toothpicks and duct tape. I've been shooting and reloading for for 15+ years and never really noticed it or paid attention until someone pointed it out. Not sure how big a problem it is on groups but it does make follow up a challenge in the field. Just thought someone might have a silver bullet exercise that might help.

If you really want to test yourself for the dreaded flinch have a buddy load or not your rifle then you shoot not knowing if it's loaded or not and do that at least 10 times at a setting. From what I understand flinching is a subconscious reaction to the recoil and the noise and that's why you need to test yourself occasionally. You can be flinching slightly and not know it. I would think that a blink each time the firing pin drops is a form of flinching.

Practice fixes most all of that once you are aware. Well it does for me anyway.

It is my opinion that a blink or a flinch is the anticipation of what is about to happen.
One of the exercises I have someone do that is asking for help is to have them get into their shooting position - be it on the bench, prone, bipod or whatever and have them go through the steps - proper gun position/alignment, cheekweld etc. and then in addition lightly close both eyes and then dry fire - Over and over and over again. Then repeat with eyes just slightly open - if you blink or flinch start over. Continue until you are dry firing with eyes open.
Don't ask me why this works because I don't know why. I have a few things that I think it does do. It really teaches you where and when your trigger will break because you are concentrating more without being able to see. It teaches your brain to keep your cheek weld all the way through the shot etc.
In my experience - if someone will do this ever night for an extended period of time for about a dozen dry fire shots - they then can self critique/correct themselves when they go to live fire. If it is a big gun causing the problem - get the 22LR out. When your happy with the 22LR move up to whatever but keep going back to that little 22LR because Old Murphy has a tendency to always return, especially after a long lay off from shooting.
There is no free lunch when we develop a problem in shooting and only the individual can correct it - for some it will be much harder than others. but stay with it , it is worth it in the long run. GOOD LUCK.

Blinking is natural and it's our body's way of providing the required moisture to the eye by irrigation using tears and a lubricant the eyes secrete to the entire eyeball to keep it from drying out.

Eye blinking symptoms include both an increased and decreased rate of blinking. Most of the time, increased eye blinking results from eye irritation caused by bright light, dust, smoke, or some foreign object in the eye. Allergies, infections, and dry eye may also increase the rate of blinking. Conditions of stress, anxiety or fatigue may also lead to increased blinking.

I don't want to alarm you or anything but anything outside normal conditions, you might want to have it checked. Hopefully, it's nothing to be alarmed but better safe than sorry. When was your last eye exam?

More often than we are willing to accept it, call it whatever you want but we are our worst enemy. Everyone blinks and flinches; how we control or manage it is what matters. All my magnum rifles have muzzle brakes but had them without for many years before that. Yes, I admit that I flinch and anticipate the recoil, including my .22s, but it's controlled and happy with the end results. During load developments, I always have my .22 to keep me occupied between shots/cooling period … and of course practice, practice, and practice with my trigger control.

Good luck and happy safe hunting/shooting.

Cowboy that sounds like a great approach. I have some work to do. Thanks to all that offered thoughts.

Good luck - if you seem to get to a certain point and still have concerns - chances are someone on this site has been there done that so don't be afraid to come back. Keep telling yourself - LITTLE STEPS at a time - I don't know of any quick fixes.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.