Crowd source shopping. Savage Action 300WM...

entoptics

As the title says, I'm hoping you guys can crowd source shop for me.

My Savage 111 LRH in 300WM seems to be going bad on me. I'm about 1100-1300 rounds into the second barrel (Shilen, SS select, installed about this time last year), and I think I'm seeing a degradation in accuracy. Hard to say for sure, as I'm fire forming a new lot of brass, and messing around with various recipes just for giggles. The rifle has averaged about 0.9 MOA, and has been insensitive to most voodoo (seating depth, OCW/Ladder node hunting, etc), so the lack of consistent sub MOA in my current tests makes me believe her best days are past.

Regardless, with over 1K down the pipe, it's time to start thinking about a new setup. A new barrel is a given, but I'm also considering a new stock and/or other uprgrades.

Rules of engagement...

1) This will stay a practical hunting rifle. 8ish pounds naked. 24" barrel + brake
2) Not switching caliber. I've invested too much in supplies and knowledge to switch, not to mention, there's no other chambering that fits my "ideal" better.
3) I have tools and skills to install any new parts, but I wanna keep using the action obviously.
4) $500 - $800. Cheaper is of course better.

So...If you were shopping...?

1) What barrel would you buy?
2) Are there any good stocks that would offer a serious upgrade over the OEM accustock? I really like it, with the cheesy adjustable comb height and all. It's just about perfect, unless I can get some accuracy gains with something different. I opened it up a bit to accept the slightly fatter Shilen Heavy Sporter, so anything up to that size would fit.
3) Any other upgrades?

In summary...If you had a Savage LRH you loved, just the way it was, what would you buy to make it even better? Should I just spend money on a barrel? Ditch everything but the action? Throw it in the dumpster and buy a Ruger American in 6.5 Creedmoor so I can get half MOA and kill elephants at 2000 yds? ;)

I'd probably keep the stock (only cause you like it). But a Boyd's stock with an aluminum bedding block is very helpful.
Maybe a CF barrel custom chambered for the 215 Berger and a new recoil lug. Of course bedded.
Could also have your action trued up for pretty inexpensive.

I agree 100%, if you do think it's the barrel then savage prefits are very reasonable from various companies, criterion barrels from northern shooters supply are great, they can be fluted and muzzle brake installed, plus they sell lugs and barrel nuts as well. You could also send your action there and have it trued up, and barrel installed as well. I have a savage in an accustock and while it's not a Mcmillan it serves its purpose well. Again it's a hunting rifle that is going to get some abuse at some point. Good luck I think you will be money ahead to buy a prefit and continue shooting that savage

I have two of the LRH accustocks. I like them, my vote is keep it. You may not see any gains in replacing it.
For barrels Criterion (Northland Shooters Supply), PacNor, Mcgowen. Probably in that order more or less.

I never realized how convoluted Savage's model nomenclature was. And to find out what someone truly has in case they want to swap parts, you have to be a paying member to a forum that is independent of Savage Arms? Like Elaine said in the Seinfeld "shrinkage" episode: "I don't know how do you guy's walk around with those things."

1 - have you tried a good bore scrubbing? 1100 rounds may not be the death knell of the barrel yet.
2 - swap barrel easy (has to be since I did easily with great results)
3 - throat it for longer Bergers etc.
4 - I'd keep the stock for now until I had new barrel broken in with definitive results to provide data to decide if a stock could improve performance.

Clean the bore of all copper, all of it, then clean it again, put it in a Boyds stock and go see if you need to replace the barrel, chances are it still has a lot of hunts left in it.

As the title says, I'm hoping you guys can crowd source shop for me.

My Savage 111 LRH in 300WM seems to be going bad on me. I'm about 1100-1300 rounds into the second barrel (Shilen, SS select, installed about this time last year), and I think I'm seeing a degradation in accuracy. Hard to say for sure, as I'm fire forming a new lot of brass, and messing around with various recipes just for giggles. The rifle has averaged about 0.9 MOA, and has been insensitive to most voodoo (seating depth, OCW/Ladder node hunting, etc), so the lack of consistent sub MOA in my current tests makes me believe her best days are past.

Regardless, with over 1K down the pipe, it's time to start thinking about a new setup. A new barrel is a given, but I'm also considering a new stock and/or other uprgrades.

Rules of engagement...

1) This will stay a practical hunting rifle. 8ish pounds naked. 24" barrel + brake
2) Not switching caliber. I've invested too much in supplies and knowledge to switch, not to mention, there's no other chambering that fits my "ideal" better.
3) I have tools and skills to install any new parts, but I wanna keep using the action obviously.
4) $500 - $800. Cheaper is of course better.

So...If you were shopping...?

1) What barrel would you buy?
2) Are there any good stocks that would offer a serious upgrade over the OEM accustock? I really like it, with the cheesy adjustable comb height and all. It's just about perfect, unless I can get some accuracy gains with something different. I opened it up a bit to accept the slightly fatter Shilen Heavy Sporter, so anything up to that size would fit.
3) Any other upgrades?

In summary...If you had a Savage LRH you loved, just the way it was, what would you buy to make it even better? Should I just spend money on a barrel? Ditch everything but the action? Throw it in the dumpster and buy a Ruger American in 6.5 Creedmoor so I can get half MOA and kill elephants at 2000 yds? ;)
Plus 1 on a Carbon Fiber barrel. If you like the stock then keep it. You can always bed the recoil lug if needed.

Stock? I like Boyds with bedding block, but you're experience may vary.

Barrel? Seeing the number of rounds you shoot a year, you might consider a melonited barrel. I like McGowen's.

Larry
Tinkerer

I had a look at Boyd's, and didn't readily find a stock for the LRH, or any LA Savage with the bottom dump magazine. Perhaps I missed something.

The barrel stays pretty dang clean on it's own, and usually 50-100 rounds will still have the 7th to 10th Hoppes patch come out clean. Never had a rifle that fouls less, though I've also never had another semi-custom barrel either...I'll give it a thorough scrubbing before my next outing and see if anything changes.

What's the favorite carbon fiber barrel option these days? I'd be going with a no frills "heavy sporter" size, with a brake installed (or at least some threads).

Is the melonite treatment good? I know it's gaining popularity in the MSR community, but does it give up anything accuracy wise?

Hoppes might just "quit" cleaning. Maybe try Bortech Eliminator , I bet $10 you'll get more out.
But anyway, I only get about 1100 out of my 300wm barrels.

I just bought a Bell and Carlson sporter stock for my Savage LRH In 6.5-284. It fit perfect. I found a new smith that specializes in Savage rifles. I'm gonna have him true up the action and bed the new stock for the hell of it. It has shot at least 3/4 MOA with the accustock with just about anything I have run through it. I just don't like bulky plastic stocks. I have manners and Mcmillian on other rifles, and while not in the same league the BC seems to be very nice for the price. We will see how it goes after I get it back from the smith. Impressed with the fit and finish with the B and C tho.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.