Critique my Setup

I'd suggest a shelving unit and some plastic bins.
You start with loading for one cartridge, then before you know it, your loading for all the cartridges you shoot.

A 3 ring binder with separators to keep notes on your loads!!
Even for testing loads that you find out you don't want to use, should be written down!
You'll want to keep information such as cartridge, case headstamp, bullet, powder, powder charge, primer, COAL!!

As far as tricklers go, i bought one of Hornady's, and love it!
Large hopper. Tall to be over your weight tray, and 2 speeds.

A box of Q-Tips comes in handy also.

One or two of the large plastic pretzel jars work well for sorting out the cases you end up with for recycling.

Don't forget to check out the yard/garage sales, and flea markets in your area also!
Like Ollies, you can find good stuff, cheap! ;)

You'll hear the "buy once, cry once" BS a LOT!
Usually from people that don't realize that there are different levels of budget.
But none of my shoes say Nike, or Vans on them either.
The inexpensive equipment works well also. Just not paying for the name.

Attachments

• IMG20240316092934.jpg
    IMG20240316092934.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG20240316093130.jpg
    IMG20240316093130.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 34
Get yourself a composition book and start a reloading journal. Write down everything you do. This includes measurements, charge weights, seating depths, etc. This will help you not make the same mistakes twice, and you can replicate what went well.

Make sure to clean off manufacture's lube off your new dies.

I use Dillion and imperial sizing wax case lube. Dillion for high production and Imperial for small jobs.

Get yourself:
  • A better bench. Stable and level is key.
  • a bullet puller
  • stuck case remover
  • Bullet comparator
  • Headspace comparator
  • OAL gauge
  • Flash hole deburring tool
  • Primer pocket uniform tool
  • Maybe a second caliper…I like having two around. Two is one, and one is none…so the saying goes…
  • Sharpie markers.
  • Painters tape for labels
  • I repurpose coffee and other larger plastic containers for brass storage. I label everything and what reloading stage it's at so I can pick up where I left off.
  • In/lbs torque wrench
  • Gun vise
  • Swager if you're prepping mil brass
  • I like to wet tumble my brass…I'd recommend that route, but not necessary.
  • More case loading trays…get like 5 more
  • Wrenches and/or allen wrenches for your dies
  • A couple extra primer trays are handy
  • Reloading manuals for load development
  • A chronograph. Do it right, and buy the garmin.

Welcome to the club, and good luck!

I'm not sure if you have reloading manuals ? They are nice if the power goes out. Or print your loads out to have when needed. Not sure how many calibers you're loading for ? If you load for many different calibers a manual is a must. I have quite a few older & new manuals. If you want any info just let me know. And then you can print them out for later use, if it helps you. I got most of mine at estate sales for pennies on the dollar.
Good point. I'm just doing 28nos right now. Using data from nosler's website since reloading manuals don't seem to list it. Maybe some of the newer editions do.

Good point. I'm just doing 28nos right now. Using data from nosler's website since reloading manuals don't seem to list it. Maybe some of the newer editions do.
I would recommend getting a manual. Loads are easy to find online but the manuals have lots of reloading information from the basics to advanced. Every reloader should have at least one.

Most of the bullets I have pulled have been from running pressure ladders. Once I find pressure, any loads above that load will need to be pulled. I use a cheap hammer type, but it works.

The trickle powder dispenser is mandatory IMO. Mine came in my first RCBS Rock Chucker kit.

I read the basic reloading manuals (Lyman, Nosler, and Berger) before loading my first cartridge. I am old school and prefer hard copy manuals.

My 1st setup ('84) was a Dillon 550 (44mag & 264wm), beam scale, Sierra #5, kinetic hammer and ammo boxes (kept some of the nicer factory ammo boxes for reuse). Find someone close to you (knowledgeable/experienced) that can help with the process. What got me started was an avid hunter and reloader that was our veterinarian.

Howdy, a lot of great information from some very good reloaders. A couple things I don't see.
Manuals and other books on reloading.
A full sized tablet, to write down what your doing, measurements = brass,= bullets. Have a page for each one and in every calibur and manufacturer.
Trickler is a must makes dropping a piece of powder in your pan really easy.
I give you a lot of credit, too start out with
28 Nosler. I started with 308win.
Have fun and be safe.
You can order this manual from Midway and other places. It has 28 Nosler 👍
Edit- when you order this manual make sure it is the Revised version 2021

Attachments

• 20240316_193305.jpg
    20240316_193305.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 20240316_195239.jpg
    20240316_195239.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 20240316_195248.jpg
    20240316_195248.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 13
Why a bullet puller? In case you seat too deep?
yes among other things
i have loaded stuff before, came back 2 weeks later and wasnt confident they were what the box said. so i just quickly reloaded them all. used same bullets

this is way better than a kinetic one, just get the collets you need. there is a kit too. only bullet i have deformed was on a 22-250. they seat deep anyway and i crushed the bullet, but the tool did get it out.

Why a bullet puller? In case you seat too deep?
There are lots of reasons to use a bullet puller. Buy ammo at a yard sale on a smoking deal. Disassemble and use your own recipe. Seating too deep. Once I loaded several rounds and looked at the scale, only to see I was off 1 grain. You have a good setup now. As stated before, you will find things along the way that you will add. Good luck and be safe.