Critique my Setup

Hikinghunter

Here's my reloading setup. Looking for comments! If I'm missing something that really helps consistency/accuracy, let me know. Less interested in speed/efficency.

Some of this stuff is a bit dated, I know. I'm on a budget 😜

IMG_2085.jpeg

Shown:
Lyman T-mag 2 press
Redding type s dies (full length resizing and seating)
Lyman powder thrower
RCBS 304 scale
Lyman lube set (pad, brass brushes, lube)
Lyman case trimmer
Deburr/chamfer tool
Lee primer seater
Shellholder
Tray and funnel

Not shown, but part of my getup
Lyman turbo tumbler with walnut shells
Starett vernier calipers

Here's my reloading setup. Looking for comments! If I'm missing something that really helps consistency/accuracy, let me know. Less interested in speed/efficency.

View attachment 554377
Shown:
Lyman T-mag 2 press
Lyman powder thrower
RCBS 304 scale
Lyman case trimmer
Deburr/chamfer tool
Lee primer seater
Shellholder
Tray and funnel

Starett vernier calipers
Hikinghunter
You should be proud of yourself on the reloading components/tools that you already have. You are on your way to a SPORT that is going to give you satisfaction on reloading your own cartridges for hunting and shooting. Depending on how much you are going to shoot will determine on what additions you will make to your reloading station. You will get a lot of help from all of us if you start going into the 'RabbitHole". If you stick with reloading and shooting a lot more for Hunting or Target Shooting You will need more equipment. If you get to the point of being "Serious" then "Buy Once" Cry Once". Basically you should spend for the best equipment so you won't have to buy again and also CRY just one time when you see the $$$$ you are spending.
There is a wealth of Knowledge on this Forum to help you out.
If we can help you out with anything, please contact us.
Thanks
Len & Jill

View attachment 554377
Shown:
Lyman T-mag 2 press
Lyman powder thrower
RCBS 304 scale
Lyman case trimmer
Deburr/chamfer tool
Lee primer seater
Shellholder
Tray and funnel

Starett vernier calipers
I'm not sure if you have reloading manuals ? They are nice if the power goes out. Or print your loads out to have when needed. Not sure how many calibers you're loading for ? If you load for many different calibers a manual is a must. I have quite a few older & new manuals. If you want any info just let me know. And then you can print them out for later use, if it helps you. I got most of mine at estate sales for pennies on the dollar.

Last edited:
Great start. As mentioned, sticking to the basics and following the instructions in well known manuals will keep you in the safe zone. Components (primers, powders, etc.) can be challenging to secure. The reloading rabbit hole can be deep, but it opens up a whole new world in the enjoyment of shooting. Before long you will probably be asking why you did not start reloading sooner. I know I did.

I have the same trimmer that you do. I bought a 2 PC. shaft collar to put behind the stop. Had the set screw slip when I was trimming cases one time. Cases were getting too short. It's a minor thing,but I adapted mine to run off my cordless drill. Also if you don't have the carbide head,invest in one. Cleaner cuts and less chamfered required.

View attachment 554377
Shown:
Lyman T-mag 2 press
Lyman powder thrower
RCBS 304 scale
Lyman case trimmer
Deburr/chamfer tool
Lee primer seater
Shellholder
Tray and funnel

Starett vernier calipers
There is nothing wrong with your setup. Most of us started similar to yours. Have fun, take your time (it is not a race), and enjoy the learning process.

@Hikinghunter
Great start !! Congratulations.
This reminds me of my venture into reloading back in the 70's.
Right down to the vernier calipers.
I ditched those fairly quickly. 🤓
Id pick up some of the inexpensive items others have mentioned as you learn.
Take your time & develop a process.
Repeatability & Consistency is important.
Be Safe !!!