Crimping rifle rounds

Like I said ALL ALONG, ONLY CRIMP RIFLE ROUNDS that go I to a MAG or CLIP and have significant RECOIL! Not NEED for SS LR BOLT ACTION RIFLES! The CRI.P Cannular, be it FACTORY or LEE COLLET CRIMPING DIE HAS to AFFECT the BULLETS FLIGHT, BC, TRAJECTORY in SOME FASHION! WHATEVER IT IS, IT AINT GOOD! Theosmithjr

....LEE COLLET CRIMPING DIE HAS to AFFECT the BULLETS FLIGHT, BC, TRAJECTORY in SOME FASHION! WHATEVER IT IS, IT AINT GOOD! Theosmithjr
Your entitled to your opinion, even if it's wrong. When done correctly (i.e. not being ridiculous with too much crimp) real world results say otherwise.

Your entitled to your opinion, even if it's wrong. When done correctly (i.e. not being ridiculous with too much crimp) real world results say otherwise.
You obviously BELIEVE EVERYTHING you READ, that's fine and well sir. I have REAL WORLD PROOF of my own, from my own Trial & Error efforts & experience that PROVES OTHERWISE! Just 1 more AR wannabe LR Shooter I KNOW my loads will OUTSHOOT! :) Good Day sir!
[email protected]

You obviously BELIEVE EVERYTHING you READ, that's fine and well sir. I have REAL WORLD PROOF of my own, from my own Trial & Error efforts & experience that PROVES OTHERWISE! Just 1 more AR wannabe LR Shooter I KNOW my loads will OUTSHOOT! :) Good Day sir!
[email protected]
Most of what you say isn't even worth addressing as it's pure nonsense. However, I will say that my real world results show otherwise... as do several others that have tried it and done it correctly. Someone that doesn't know what they're doing shouldn't go willy nilly crimping bullets. After all, it could be dangerous and they may end up with less than stellar results like yourself.

theo, you have some very valid points but your use of caps is killin' us!

Instead of starting a new thread, I thought I'd put a shout out to some competitive guys that have some real experience with crimping or not. I started crimping for my 338WM and just extended it to my WSMs and find it a new dimension in reloading. Can any masters chime in here with what they've found?

The thing is you need consistent neck tension for long range accuracy. Most all the top 1000 yd shooters are using bushing dies to control neck tension. They typically use very light tension and because they are single loading it's not an issue. Aside from semi autos and hard recoiling rifle rounds most people do not crimp bottleneck cases. However, one thing that a light to moderate crimp can do is even out the neck tension for a more consistent bullet release. This is only practical for average reloaders using standard dies and not turning necks and using bushing dies. I don't crimp rounds for my bolt guns but do for my ar's. It has helped lower the es. I do know some guys that crimp their bolt gun rounds with the lee fcd also and have seen some positive results with it as well.

The thing is you need consistent neck tension for long range accuracy. Most all the top 1000 yd shooters are using bushing dies to control neck tension. They typically use very light tension and because they are single loading it's not an issue. Aside from semi autos and hard recoiling rifle rounds most people do not crimp bottleneck cases. However, one thing that a light to moderate crimp can do is even out the neck tension for a more consistent bullet release. This is only practical for average reloaders using standard dies and not turning necks and using bushing dies. I don't crimp rounds for my bolt guns but do for my ar's. It has helped lower the es. I do know some guys that crimp their bolt gun rounds with the lee fcd also and have seen some positive results with it as well.
Well said. Exactly what I said from the very beginning! Thank You Sir!
Theosmithjr

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.