Cracked Remington action.

Thanks for the thoughts and yes I am sending it back the guy just has to let me know where to send it. As far as it not happening to a savage or browning really that has to be the dumbest crap ever get a life. Many mechanical device can fail because it has a different name on doesn't give it a force field of invincability I'm closing the thread

Thanks for the thoughts and yes I am sending it back the guy just has to let me know where to send it. As far as it not happening to a savage or browning really that has to be the dumbest crap ever get a life. Many mechanical device can fail because it has a different name on doesn't give it a force field of invincability I'm closing the thread

Good Idea, about closing the thread. And you're right that could happen to any rifle. So let me rephrase this, it's less likely to happen to a savage or a browning. Hope it goes well with your return.

"As far as it not happening to a savage or browning really that has to be the dumbest crap ever get a life. Many mechanical device can fail because it has a different name on doesn't give it a force field of invincability I'm closing the thread"

I agree completely Clem...100%

I don't want to sound rude ,, but you would not have seen that with a Savage or a Browning. And good luck with trying to get anything back from Remington.

Savage 116 keeps blowing up - MonsterMuleys.com
Follow the link. I'm not a savage fan boy but have nothing against them either. The one's that I have handled shot well and operated smoothly. ALL manufacturers have defects now and then, period. I've personally seen a cracked savage action and a few cracked barrel nuts.

Attachments

• 2016-06-21-19-55-32-79309121.jpeg
    2016-06-21-19-55-32-79309121.jpeg
    10.5 KB · Views: 72
  • 9404d1232687510t-savage-catastrophic-failure-savage3.jpg
    9404d1232687510t-savage-catastrophic-failure-savage3.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 63
  • 2016-06-21-19-33-10--658109308.jpeg
    2016-06-21-19-33-10--658109308.jpeg
    5.4 KB · Views: 60
Chrome moly steel is not apt to cracking is a Remington. Chrome moly reaches it's mac Rockwell in the 47 point area. Never Rockwell tested a Remington action, but would put it around 32/35RC with a 60RC case. The case will crack. Still this is not saying somebody wasn't shooting 75 to 80K PSI loads thru it.

I would take the action and bolt to a good heat treater (aero-space) and have it X-Rayed at the minimum. Better to spend money here than in the trauma ward.
gary

I agree. Go get it Magna-Fluxed and see if that really is a crack, or just a deep scratch.

Agreed. I have noticed that pretty much all his comments are like that.

You Remington guys sure have a attitude toward anything other than Remington rifles. Really, ya'll need to get a life.

You Remington guys sure have a attitude toward anything other than Remington rifles. Really, ya'll need to get a life.

No offense but it seems like you have a attitude towards anything but a Savage or Browning. Never did understand the brand loyalty thing. Back to the Ford vs Dodge vs Chevy crap like we are in high school. They all have good points AND bad ones. I will say this, Savage does seem to be getting better all the time. When the aftermarket starts doing as much for Savage as they do for Remington and the clones, Remington will be in real trouble if they don't get there stuff together.

No offense but it seems like you have a attitude towards anything but a Savage or Browning. Never did understand the brand loyalty thing. Back to the Ford vs Dodge vs Chevy crap like we are in high school. They all have good points AND bad ones. I will say this, Savage does seem to be getting better all the time. When the aftermarket starts doing as much for Savage as they do for Remington and the clones, Remington will be in real trouble if they don't get there stuff together.

If you would have read some of my other post, you AND your Remmy buddies would know that I own some older Remington rifles. I only have a attitude against the new Rem. 700's and Rem. customer service. If you AND your Remmy buddies went through the bull sh*% I did with Rem. over the 7mm/08 I sent back to have repaired you would have a attitude too. Savage, Browning and Ruger so far, no problem with customer service. And this is the last time I'm going to explain myself about them damned Rem. rifles and their customer service...

If you would have read some of my other post, you AND your Remmy buddies would know that I own some older Remington rifles. I only have a attitude against the new Rem. 700's and Rem. customer service. If you AND your Remmy buddies went through the bull sh*% I did with Rem. over the 7mm/08 I sent back to have repaired you would have a attitude too. Savage, Browning and Ruger so far, no problem with customer service. And this is the last time I'm going to explain myself about them damned Rem. rifles and their customer service...
I don't remember the thread you are taking about in particular, please post a link if possible. All the bad I have been hearing about Remington's customer service has kind of swayed my away from buying a new one for the last few years. I'm not a Remington only type of guy, I have and have had in the past several other brands including a Savage. My point was metal does stress crack and it doesn't matter who's name is on it.

We need to get a life? Some of us speak from personal experience (be-it extensive, or not), and others (the gunsmiths on this site) speak from many years of professional experience.

Not to sound braggadocios, but I have owned a bunch of bolt-action hunting rifles...Remingtons, Brownings, Rugers, a Weatherby, a couple Marlins, Mossbergs, an 1874 Sharps, and several others over the years. I've also shot A LOT of others. I buy Remington 700's and Browning A-Bolt II rifles these days because these are the 2 best factory actions I've found to build off of. I simply do not like Savages. I have shot several of them over the years. Some were accurate, some weren't. I don't like them or their ergonomics. People have different opinions...And here in America, we're allowed to have those opinions...Just like you're allowed to have your's.

While I hate Savage, I'm not going to sit here and tell you that they're all garbage and you should buy anything other than a savage... That's just immature. We all have our favorites and rep for our favorite brands, but there's no need to talk crap about others. We all know factory Remington barrels can be hit-or-miss....News-flash, so can $2,000 Weatherbys, and so can Savages.

Also, as for your issue with your 7mm-08 Remington...Why would you waste that much time and effort in a p*ssing-match with the factory? At that point you could have just cut your losses and either sold it, or rebarreled it with an aftermarket barrel.

Then again, I'll never understand how people can go buy a factory mass-produced rifle and not understand that it's a 50/50 gamble, then **** and moan when they weren't on the winning 50% side... That's why I buy used or cheap 700's just for the actions, and chunk the rest of the parts. And normally I would give the factory barrels a chance, but 99% of the time, they are not chambered for cartridges I am interested in owning. I prefer the AI's and the wildcats.

We need to get a life? Some of us speak from personal experience (be-it extensive, or not), and others (the gunsmiths on this site) speak from many years of professional experience.

Not to sound braggadocios, but I have owned a bunch of bolt-action hunting rifles...Remingtons, Brownings, Rugers, a Weatherby, a couple Marlins, Mossbergs, an 1874 Sharps, and several others over the years. I've also shot A LOT of others. I buy Remington 700's and Browning A-Bolt II rifles these days because these are the 2 best factory actions I've found to build off of. I simply do not like Savages. I have shot several of them over the years. Some were accurate, some weren't. I don't like them or their ergonomics. People have different opinions...And here in America, we're allowed to have those opinions...Just like you're allowed to have your's.

While I hate Savage, I'm not going to sit here and tell you that they're all garbage and you should buy anything other than a savage... That's just immature. We all have our favorites and rep for our favorite brands, but there's no need to talk crap about others. We all know factory Remington barrels can be hit-or-miss....News-flash, so can $2,000 Weatherbys, and so can Savages.

Also, as for your issue with your 7mm-08 Remington...Why would you waste that much time and effort in a p*ssing-match with the factory? At that point you could have just cut your losses and either sold it, or rebarreled it with an aftermarket barrel.

Then again, I'll never understand how people can go buy a factory mass-produced rifle and not understand that it's a 50/50 gamble, then **** and moan when they weren't on the winning 50% side... That's why I buy used or cheap 700's just for the actions, and chunk the rest of the parts. And normally I would give the factory barrels a chance, but 99% of the time, they are not chambered for cartridges I am interested in owning. I prefer the AI's and the wildcats.

Well said MUD.

Having done a fair amount of gun smithing, I have found many very good factory rifles and many not so good rifles (All brands) some seem to be generally better than others, "BUT" none so bad generally that I would not build on them. Some needed replacement parts and some were as near
as perfect as I would expect for a factory rifle.

They are all mass produced and subject to differences in quality. There are different things that need to be done to different actions/rifles to make them consistent and accurate. so if you luck out and buy a good one, good ammo will not be as hard to come by or load for and/or the smith will not have to do as much work. if you are not so lucky, more will have to be done to get it to perform.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.