Cracked Remington action.

clem81

I just bought a 243 SHort action customs on snipers hide and when I get it home I see a crack through the last screw in the scope mount. It's all the way in the back of the actionwould is there anything to worry about. Will the scope move around. Could it be welded.
Craig

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 178
I just bought a 243 SHort action customs on snipers hide and when I get it home I see a crack through the last screw in the scope mount. It's all the way in the back of the actionwould is there anything to worry about. Will the scope move around. Could it be welded.
Craig

lightbulbSorry, not what you want to hear but IIWY, I'd return it for full refund.lightbulb

Craig

If it is the apparent crack at the front trigger pin hole, I would get my money back.

The pin hole looks like it was struck with a pin punch to big for the hole and it cracked the action.

Either way, the action should be replaced.

If the crack you are referring to is somewhere else post another picture. We are looking at the bottom of the action not the top
where the scope mount holes are.

J E CUSTOM

You have had several suggestions to send it back by very knowledgeable people.
I don't have the experience that any of the previous posters have, but I don't believe a crack anywhere in the action is a good thing. It won't go away on it's own, and could possibly get worse. Even though it appears to only be a hole for the scope mount, the action is subjected to lots of stress when firing. Don't take a chance with something that is so close to your face and head every time you pull the trigger. Send it back !!

Are you sure it is cracked?
To me it looks like a scar/scratch.
I also don't believe the types of steel used in modern actions would be prone to fracture.

You didn't mention whether or not the crack is visible on top of the action. Metal doesn't crack on one side without producing evidence of the crack on the other side. To be certain what it is that you're working with (even though it certainly does appear to be a crack) I'd try a magnaflux test on the other side of the action to see what that reveals.
IMO, if it is cracked, it would have to be a factory defect or an over length scope screw struck by the bolt (unlikely but worthy of listing as a consideration cuz if you're the second owner there's no telling who took a hammer to the action) Looks like somebody has pounded around the area of the trigger pin holes with a screwdriver as is.

Chrome moly steel is not apt to cracking is a Remington. Chrome moly reaches it's mac Rockwell in the 47 point area. Never Rockwell tested a Remington action, but would put it around 32/35RC with a 60RC case. The case will crack. Still this is not saying somebody wasn't shooting 75 to 80K PSI loads thru it.

I would take the action and bolt to a good heat treater (aero-space) and have it X-Rayed at the minimum. Better to spend money here than in the trauma ward.
gary

I'd dump that action in the landfill, or give it to an enemy. Nothing points to defective steel more than a crack that would be visible to the human eye. What would be worse, is to see that crack in the barrel threads or thru the recesses cut for the bolt lugs. It's a used Remington action. Toss that action body, if you can't get a refund. The bolt itself is probably as good as any other bolt, unless you can see a burnt bolt face or that the lugs have been indented or galled.

Last edited:
I don't want to sound rude ,, but you would not have seen that with a Savage or a Browning. And good luck with trying to get anything back from Remington.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.