Coyote hunting

sewwhat89

Can anyone recommend a coyote call, calling method or other varmint call? I have several loads for my .22-250, a deer lease loaded with coyotes, crows, rabbits and some bobcats, but I havn't the foggiest how to call in the yotes.

Would electric calls be the way to go since I have nothing or what do you suggest?

I've got howlers, rabbit calls, fawn bleats....everything; but I killed more coyotes this year turkey hunting than ever before. It didn't take long to realize why the turkeys were lock jawed because every time I tried to call in a Tom the coyotes came runnin'. Not exactly long range but an x-tra full choked, 3 1/2in. 12 gauge #5 shot is quite impressive up close! I prefer Primos calls; and they have some great coyote hunting DVD's to learn from.

I'm an old time Oregon man. Lots of just the road hunter of America. Driving and see them out. I've done the remote callers and mouth callers sitting in the snow in parkas. I've chummed them in with hanging Jack rabbits in the Juniper trees night hunting with IR scopes and Star light.

The wounded rabbit might be the best. I really believe that the driving around and you just see them. Here in Nevada you have lots of rabbits just run over on the out back highways. The dogs come in to feed. Just two week ago I drove up to Idaho and took my 270AI. Middle of the afternoon the dog ran across the road and I hit the skids and hopped out. Typical dog thinks that they are safe 2-300 yards out and is wondering why you stopped. Thats when I popped the Harris bypod legs out and gave it my very best/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I can recommend these products for killin yotes.

This coyote howler is the easiest to use and the smoothest sounding howler I have owned. The bands are replaceable and the call body is spray paintable to make it match your camo colors.

On this page Scroll down until you find the model AP-2 and AP-3 cottontail and jackrabbit in distress calls. I really like the shape of the mouthpiece and the ability to replace the reeds as the need arises. The reeds are available from the manufacturer. Sorry I couldn't find a homepage for this company but their contact info is on the package. BTW his big trumpet like howler is the worst I have used.

I got an electronic call last year and haven't given it a much of a try so I won't comment on that but I will say that if you use the calls above at the right time and the right way and keep a good watch on your technique you will see more dogs than just driving around. And you will have some of them come into kissin'distance if you are real lucky.

Keep an eye out for other predators as well. Bears and mtn lions will come into the rabbit calls as well.

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't the foggiest how to call in the yotes.

[/ QUOTE ]

The howler is most handy during the highly territorial breeding season (mid winter) and when the pups are old enough to venture out of the dens and get their butt kicked by a coyote from another team (Late may and June).

I have found the rabbit calls work best on foggy mornings after a few days of rain with no moon. That is when they are the hungriest. It will work anytime though. Give the call a chance to work. 15 minutes in a spot should do but if it is a good spot that has produced before you may want to give it 20 minutes or so. Don't over blow the call duration wise. Give it a good 30 seconds and then wait for 5 minutes. If the yotes are there they heard it. They just need time for their curiosity to work. Sometimes its 5 seconds and sometimes its 10 minutes. You almost can't over blow the call volume wise. You are not imitating a rabbit with a hangover. You ARE imitating a rabbit that is being peeled alive. Small lungs screaming for all they are worth.

I also have started using a crow decoy (actually a plastic crow we bought for Halloween for a buck) and a stuffed rabbit skin (but any rabbit sized tan or grey stuffed animal will do) posed together. The idea is that when the yote sees the crow snackin on a rabbit he will come in to take it. That technique put my shotgun about 12 - 15 feet from the last dog I called in.

Hope that is some of the info you are looking for. Let me know if you have questions.

Stephen. I have been a professional predator caller for the last twenty years. Have been calling for 46 years. Have done several TV shows, and on the CD "World Champions"

I think you live close to me. Drop me a private E-Mail at the address below. Maybe I can fix you up with some calls(Free), and hopefully shorten you're learning curve. Warning this can turn into a life long addiction.

Ronnie Robison Lohman Gold Staff.

Long Action. I have been an unprofessional caller for a few years and I was wondering if I could pick your brain as I have a few spots to hunt coyotes that are loaded with coyotes but they are resistant to coming in?

Also if you see anything I typed above that is not quite right PLEASE let me know. I gave a good honest answer as I have learned and experienced but I always have room to learn.

Man, you should have said something earlier. I have some questions for you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

4ked,

If you ever need somebody to go with you yote hunting, I'd gladly join you. I have only been out 2 times and have yet to kill a dog.

Sean

4kedHorn. Even though I represent a different brand of calls, The ones you recommended are excellent.

There are as many opinions on how to call Coyotes as there are Coyotes. I tend to call very loud and very often. Many of my friends are just the opposite. feel free to contact me any time.

There are many Coyote boards on line were you can pick up information from the top callers in the world. We all do it a little different, Just like pro fisherman. I don't know if I can post links here. If not I am sorry Len, But the best site is www.huntmasterbbs.com. This is were the dedicated,hard core callers hang out. You will find many opinions here, but they are all good. I go by varmit hunter on that site.

[ QUOTE ]
I also have started using a crow decoy (actually a plastic crow we bought for Halloween for a buck) and a stuffed rabbit skin (but any rabbit sized tan or grey stuffed animal will do) posed together. The idea is that when the yote sees the crow snackin on a rabbit he will come in to take it. That technique put my shotgun about 12 - 15 feet from the last dog I called in.

[/ QUOTE ]

does the Crow figure move? I'd like to see that in action. We have had the past bunch of years being a drought in Northern Nevada. So as the bird and rabbit population went down so did the preditors. 2005 has about doubled in annual rain fall. So i hope the cycle is on the up swing. I've got the remote electronic loud speakers with adjustable volume. I was going to ask you how high should the volume be?

I was driving to work this morning and saw a yote out in the middle of 120 acre pasture mousing. I need to get out this Sat. and try my luck.

[ QUOTE ]
There are as many opinions on how to call Coyotes as there are Coyotes. I tend to call very loud and very often.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been a coyote calling addict for more than 30 years. I too call loud and fairly frequently. I have tried just about everything, and I have had the pleasure to hunt with some pretty decent callers, including guys who absolutely rule at the contests in Wyoming, gov. trappers, contractors for predator control boards, etc. I do pretty well myself, right until I run up against a call shy dawg that someone called in, shot at, and missed, lol.

I don't know about Texas, but in Wyoming the spaces are huge. Guys who win the contests don't mess around with decoys, and most of them do not use electronic callers. They blow a mouth call with a passion, recognize a good spot when they see it, and they sit down frequently for no more than 20 minutes per spot. High desert techniques like we use here might not work in Texas so take this for what it's worth.

This is what I am talking about. Some guys take the time to set up a virtual zoo of decoys mainly so thy can get great video. The contest caller wants to travel light and fast. They also site in for long range so they can drop them when they see them. These are the guys with the 25-06's and 6mm AI's. Have seen contest callers make head shots at 500 plus yards.

I used to be a dedicated horn hunter. Now all I wont to do is shoot hogs at long range(out to 1K), and call Coyotes. Don't have to wait for permit draws, don't wear out a truck every two years chasing horns across four states. Give Coyotes a try in the off season. They are with out a doubt the most challenging animal I have ever hunted. kill one out of a pack and then go back. The rest of the pack will make a 160 class buck look suicidal.

I've also been hunting coyotes for a # of years, and for the last 20 or so killed 40-70/season calling mostly. These days i've gotten away from calling, and into spot and stalk. Some of the areas i've hunted in the past that got a lot of pressure r much easier to hunt by spot and stalk. I also howl a lot for locating dogs mainly, but beware of that system, since dogs will react to it, and come in, generally slower than distress calls. Had an article once in Trapper and Predator Caller called "Finessing Coyotes", that detailed some of the methods i used to hunt. If u want send me a PM, and i'll copy it and send it to u. I've had a # of articles in T+PC that i'll send u if u want.

1 thing i'd suggest u do if you're going out on an all-dayer, is to get one of the soft-sided stadium seats that r common at Wal/K-Mart. Reinforce it with some extra closed-cell foam, cover it in burlap, and it's ready to go-- makes a long day calling out on the prairie a little less tiring, besides the fact that when tightened with the side straps, helps steady yourself for a long shot.

Always remember that howling is the ace-in-the-hole. So learn how to do it quick. Predator hunting is at an all-time high these days, and there r a lot of call-shy dogs running around out there, and learning to speak their language helps immensely.

For how-to videos i'd suggest Randy Anderson's series. For fur handling try Blaine Eddy's video "Hunting and Skinning for Profit". All this info, and other resources r easy to come by @ www.predatormasters.com

sewwhat89,

If you are considering ordering anything from ELK.Inc, do yourself a BIG favor. Order the Yotebuster. I have used it with success in Eastern Montana, Nodak and Northern Wisconsin. It is a very versatile call.

I would suggest learning mouth calls vs electronics. Especially a howler. It may take you a while to learn your first howler, but after you master the first one and learn the calls, you can pick up just about any call and do a good job.

Good Luck.

Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.