Coyote hunting tips

Do you turn your e caller off as soon as you see a coyote coming your way?
I have by accident, and it ended poorly. It looked dead at my call for a couple of seconds, whirled in place and disappeared. Now, if they are coming, I don't touch anything. I think if I was out west, and could see them coming from way out, I might lower the volume a little, but I have no idea if that is the right answer or not, since I've never hunted coyotes out west..

Yes No Why? Have you tried the opposite way? goalltheway you left the Versamax with EO Tech in the truck didn't you? Sorry, I couldn't help my self. lol
In the incident I mentioned, he caught me with the remote in my hand. This was a primos call I used a handful of years back. I was trying to switch sounds and looked up and had one at about 100y. Call was about midway between us. In my attempt to delicately lay the remote against the neck lanyard, I hit the mute button. If coyotes could smirk, he smirked at me and disappeared. he was out of sight before I ever got both hands on my rifle.

A question that follows along this same line. How about your decoy. Do you leave it on or turn it on and off? What are your thoughts?
I've gotten to the point that I barely ever turn mine on, unless I know I'm sitting somewhere that they will be able to see it from way out. It sucks my battery down so fast..

Do you turn your e caller off as soon as you see a coyote coming your way?
Depends on how far out I see it and how fast it's coming.
I use aggressive barks on the call to "bark stop" the coyote/s when I'm ready to shoot. I don't want the coyote to even know I'm there, if possible, especially true when there's more then one that show up together. IF the barks don't stop the coyote, I then hit male challenge howl which sometimes will turn one inside out, BUT they always stop once they figure out that they aren't being chased by the "challenger".