Coyote hunting tips

I don't run my caller all of the time and start at low volume to begin with . I do my best to imitate nature with it's use . As I've studied how the animals react and the way they sound when they talk in differing circumstances I try to sound like them with my calling for the most part . As with any thing you need to be adaptable and change for each situation as it comes up . Unfortunately many people haven't been able to listen to how animals talk in different circumstances so they just don't know how they react to be able to imitate them .

Well I am feeling a little better about my tough hunt a couple of weeks ago. Just got through watching Carnivore. Gary hunted hard for two days with the new Rogue caller. I did call in one. He skunked. So the lesson here. Keep the faith. If it was easy and you were successful every time you turned the call on it would get boring.

Well I am feeling a little better about my tough hunt a couple of weeks ago. Just got through watching Carnivore. Gary hunted hard for two days with the new Rogue caller. I did call in one. He skunked. So the lesson here. Keep the faith. If it was easy and you were successful every time you turned the call on it would get boring.
If it wasn't for all of the empty stands we wouldn't enjoy the successful stands so much.

Find the prey animals and you will find the coyote. A friend has a small ranch on high ground. Canyons and draws surround him. In the spring turkeys move out of the low land and seek out his property to mate, nest, and raise their young . Here they stay until late fall. Then back to the low lands until spring. Coyotes mirror this movement.

Well, 338 Dude (Bill) and I will be hitting it all day tomorrow. I've got some spots that haven't been called since January, and some, never, at least by me. One of my farmers told me that he's been seeing a group of 3 or 4 on a particular fenceline almost every morning within an hour of daylight. Hopefully we will be sitting there silent and camouflaged when the sun comes up, waiting in ambush..

Moon phase. What are your thoughts?
Sonrtimes I think it may be the most important tangible factor that we can measure.

I decided to do some weapons maintenance this morning when my alarm went off at 4am instead of hunting, and the moon was the deciding factor. I figure that my hunting days are limited anyways, based on the number of locations that I have access to, so given that it is only reasonable to call the same spots periodically, it makes sense to hold off until the conditions are correct. I recently got an idea about going back through the photos of dead coyotes in my phone from years past and checking the dates with moon cycles. I found that I killed about 60% of my coyotes the week of the new moon, and the remaining 40% were evenly distributed over the remaining 3 weeks, more or less. It took a long time to compile that data, but it seems valuable. Now, I'll admit that it is skewed at least a bit because I've generally hunted more days when the moon is low. There are also tons of intangibles that I haven't worked into the equation, but at face value, it seems huge.

This horse has been ridden several times before on this site . If you take good notes that include what the moon is doing you can decide for yourself if it has any effect on what the coyote are doing by what the moon is doing . My notes tell me that 2 hours before and two hours after moon rise the pray animals are moving and so are the predators . They also show that two hours before and two hours after moon set they are also active so then for me my records show that twice in a 24 hour period you will have a 4 hour window that the animals are more active then other times of the day . They also show me that when the moon is up during the day the predators are more active those days . Spend a little money buy yourself a good fisher mans calendar that has the moon phase on it with the best fishing days and dates on it then mark on it when you notice what the predators are doing and you can figure out for yourself what works for you . My observations are just that , what I have observed over a period of around 40 years yours may or may not be the same as mine . Years ago some marine biologists took notice that sea urchins were more active at the times I have mentioned . They also wondered what would happen if they moved them to another location . They moved them to Kansas and found that within a few days they adjusted their active times to match the moon effects to the new area . Yes I'm a little different then most I enjoy studying and reading more then a lot of people do . Coyote were and are my passion so I studied them took notes and made my own conclusions that work for me . I sometimes share those with others if I find that I have made a mistake in my findings then I admit to it and use it as a learning experience to add to my knowledge base . Perhaps I have been able to help some other person along their way hunting coyote .

If I made all the " chip " shots this winter, I would have another 20 coyotes, but I think our MAKER balances it out as I made some difficult long shots quite easily that I should have missed🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🤝🤝👍👍🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸👌
when you hunt solo you have to make 360 degrees all shots and that is a challenge, but I am addicted and have been since 1983 and I refuse treatment😳😳😂😂

Hey guys I am fairly new to coyote hunting and new to this site. I am shooting a rem 700sps varmit in .243 1:9 with a 26"barrel. I currently load a 75 gr v-max and they make a hole that could sink a ship in no time. I am looking for a bullet that won"t make a mess. I live in north west North Dakota so the wind can get heavy. Any advice is much appreciated
95 grain Hornady SST with a full dose of IMR 4350 less damage than a Vmax