Coyote hunting tips

Don't get upset over a miss use it as a learning tool , analyze the situation figure out what took place and make adjustments for it . In my experiences with close shots I 've shot low at 50 yards most often by not taking into consideration the height of the scope from the barrel .

Reemty I bought one designed and sold by Night Goggles. It works great for setting up when you have plenty of time and your only shooting in front of you. Accuracy is good. I don't use it when calling because it is much easier for me to maneuver a bi-pod. I can move 360 with the bi-pod just by picking it up. With a tripod the extra leg is in the way. If I were standing when calling I think I would prefer the tripod. Since I am sitting I use the bi-pod. Tip, if you get one use the ARCA mount.

Reemty I bought one designed and sold by Night Goggles. It works great for setting up when you have plenty of time and your only shooting in front of you. Accuracy is good. I don't use it when calling because it is much easier for me to maneuver a bi-pod. I can move 360 with the bi-pod just by picking it up. With a tripod the extra leg is in the way. If I were standing when calling I think I would prefer the tripod. Since I am sitting I use the bi-pod. Tip, if you get one use the ARCA mount.
I have been through the tripods too. I even have a really nice nightforce carbon fiber tripod that I don't even use currently. I am currently using a swagger hunter 42, and there may not have been a better setup designed for coyote hunting ever, IMHO. I tried one for a few weeks, and then I bought 2 more. They are at least as stable as a tripod, (for me), and the mobility is amazing. The fact that they fold up against your rifle and condense into a small package, opening up another hand is invaluable. I love that I can grab the legs with one hand and swing 360° in a split second, but you can also quickly swing the legs together or apart, instantly giving yourself a significant change in height, up or down. You can lay prone and use them. You can even stand and stick the legs into your waistline and have a darn solid standing rest. They are absolutely worth checking out.

338 if you want to play this game you should learn from every experience and do not let fails get to you. Continue hunting them and you will make some wonderful friends and memories. All the way, it was great of you to take a friend. All the way please fill us in on the details of the hunt so we can all learn from it. Thanks.

Last edited:
This horse has been ridden several times before on this site . If you take good notes that include what the moon is doing you can decide for yourself if it has any effect on what the coyote are doing by what the moon is doing . My notes tell me that 2 hours before and two hours after moon rise the pray animals are moving and so are the predators . They also show that two hours before and two hours after moon set they are also active so then for me my records show that twice in a 24 hour period you will have a 4 hour window that the animals are more active then other times of the day . They also show me that when the moon is up during the day the predators are more active those days . Spend a little money buy yourself a good fisher mans calendar that has the moon phase on it with the best fishing days and dates on it then mark on it when you notice what the predators are doing and you can figure out for yourself what works for you . My observations are just that , what I have observed over a period of around 40 years yours may or may not be the same as mine . Years ago some marine biologists took notice that sea urchins were more active at the times I have mentioned . They also wondered what would happen if they moved them to another location . They moved them to Kansas and found that within a few days they adjusted their active times to match the moon effects to the new area . Yes I'm a little different then most I enjoy studying and reading more then a lot of people do . Coyote were and are my passion so I studied them took notes and made my own conclusions that work for me . I sometimes share those with others if I find that I have made a mistake in my findings then I admit to it and use it as a learning experience to add to my knowledge base . Perhaps I have been able to help some other person along their way hunting coyote .
I bought this little electronic device, probably well over a dozen years ago, that has a program to determine animal movements. This Instrument does what traditional solunar tables can't. How? Well, by including the effect of barometric pressure and temperature for your exact location and distinguishing between the effect on game animals, giving predictions specifically formulated for hunting. And not only will the Deerhunter's Edge let you know about current game activity, it'll give you a 4-hour forecast.
When my hunting friends saw me using this they all laughed at me, but I almost always had good luck in finding the best times to hunt deer as well as coyotes. The moon, tempeture, pressure all effect animal movements. I swear by this, it was not expensive and gives you great enviromental information for the areas you hunt. You program it with your longitude & latitude. It's a lot easire, faster, and more accurate than using a fishing calender. There are better models on the market these days.
Just another tool in my hunting pack!

Thanks
Len & Jill

Attachments

• Edge.jpg
    Edge.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 94
  • Edge Hunter.jpg
    Edge Hunter.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 103
I bought this little electronic device, probably well over a dozen years ago, that has a program to determine animal movements. This Instrument does what traditional solunar tables can't. How? Well, by including the effect of barometric pressure and temperature for your exact location and distinguishing between the effect on game animals, giving predictions specifically formulated for hunting. And not only will the Deerhunter's Edge let you know about current game activity, it'll give you a 4-hour forecast.
When my hunting friends saw me using this they all laughed at me, but I almost always had good luck in finding the best times to hunt deer as well as coyotes. The moon, tempeture, pressure all effect animal movements. I swear by this, it was not expensive and gives you great enviromental information for the areas you hunt. You program it with your longitude & latitude. It's a lot easire, faster, and more accurate than using a fishing calender. There are better models on the market these days.
Just another tool in my hunting pack!

Thanks
Len & Jill
Sir, you need to get someone to show you the huntwise app, or any of a dozen more like it. You won't have to carry that brick around anymore..

Sir, you need to get someone to show you the huntwise app, or any of a dozen more like it. You won't have to carry that brick around anymore..
Ge wizz I thought I was really tech with this device. How 15 years passes. I'm an old timer considering to most around. It's only like 2.5" X3" and less than 2oz. and you are correct I could most likey get an app for my phone, but know if my phone will take into Barometric, temp. I guess some phone can do that too.
Thanks for that info. That is why this forum is so important to get info & advise like this.
Len

Last edited:
They do rely on cell phone signal for the correct weather info, so if you are out of cell range, all you'll have is the forecast from before you left, so there is a big hole there, but they are handy. I read sometime back that onX was supposed to be coming up with their atmospheric conditions and forecast on their app, but I don't think it has happened so far..

They do rely on cell phone signal for the correct weather info, so if you are out of cell range, all you'll have is the forecast from before you left, so there is a big hole there, but they are handy. I read sometime back that onX was supposed to be coming up with their atmospheric conditions and forecast on their app, but I don't think it has happened so far..
AH HA! There you go. if your phone doesn't get a signal or get atmospheric information my little device will still wotk great, sometimes older technologies work better.

Where I live around 70 percent of the time there is no signal for phone service when I'm out . I have even been places here that my GPS didn't work , mountains deep draws ect. . We still find that the old analogue Motorola two ways work best to talk with the air craft . It's enjoyable to learn about all of the advancements that have been made with this sort of thing in the last several years and how it has helped people to become better at hunting and just getting out enjoying the world . Around 50 years ago I learned to take good notes and use them to help me advance my hunting skills it has worked for me so I still keep good notes and for those of us that aren't tec. challenged the newer advancements in doing things will I'm sure be doing it best for them . I learned to keep my things that didn't like getting wet in a plastic bag when out as you never know when it will come a down pour , snow squall , or you may fall into a creek ect. do these newer pieces of equipment stand up to the weather better now then the ones from 15 - 20 years ago ?