Coyote hunting tips

There are times when I don't have a lot of time but still want to get out so for me I find it better to do some observing instead of calling . Just spend my time glassing trying to find them laying up or moving around with out me bothering them so then I can know , what , where and when they are doing their thing . I look at it as time well spent not time killed for me calling when I am rushed to do it is time killed . But that's me and not every one .

In the late 70's and early 80's there were quite a few people that sold instructions for trapping , calling and snaring . A Jepson out of North Dakota , a Crag O'Gorman out of Montana , and a couple from Wyoming . The ones from Wyoming have passed on and I think Jepson retired so if O'Gorman is still doing it he may be the only one left doing it . I know that some of the other guys from Montana have died and O'Gorman has to be in his 70's by now or pushing it real hard .

I don't like to have mine set at a distance from me that way I can tell what the volume is at any given time and I can pick it up to hold it at a higher level from the ground as well as turn it from one side to the other to send the sound more in one direction . Also there are some sounds that I don't want to play more then just a few seconds to control the coyote reactions to them . As an example I might have the coyote answer but then they just want to hang out there a ways and it's denning season they've been killing and I need to get them stopped so then I will turn my volume down to about a quarter of the volume and run the puppy sounds for a couple of seconds I want them to respond but not at a full run and not all of them at once . Just what puppy sounds do I want to use for that is another thing I need to know and so then I should know what age most of them are at this time of the year . It's all very complex and some thing no body will figure out in one or two seasons especially if your only doing it during fur season . The time of the year means a lot as to what sounds work and some times like breading season the coyote aren't really very responsive a lot of times and at that time less is often more .

Over Thanksgiving weekend my oldest son and I were in his home state of OK. It was deer season.
Sunset and and I decided to do a few howls to see if any coyotes answered. Had about fifteen minutes of shooting light left. Tally-Ho open reed call with a custom replacement reed I made.
Immediately got a response from two different groups at a distance. Then one much closer answered.
We had a bit of a challenge howl session, threat barking each other, back and forth.
My son was about 200 yards west of me, between the coyotes and me around a bend in a creek.
We ( the coyotes and me) hit a stand-off. Not coming, but not leaving. I faced away from the coyotes and challenge-howled softer, like I was leaving and trash talking, but definitely leaving.
Waited a few minutes, faced back toward the pack and really ripped off a challenge, loud and in-their-face like, like I changed my mind and came back. Ready to fight.
I shut up and waited about a minute and heard my son's rifle report.
He said after the leaving then coming back howls, a male came streaking in headed toward my location.
Rolled him with a .25-06.

Last edited:
If you stop and just study them what 56 did is how that game plays out more then you would think but most often the one really does leave . Another good reason to keep a hand call handy and be practiced up on the one you use . I still have my first Tally-Ho it was the red one and has it's original black reed but for some unknown reason most people that call coyote and hunt just have to tinker with and try to improve on things myself included , it's not really unknown why we have a never ending need to learn and figure things out for ourselves as well as learn from others . Well done 56

I took pictures of 2 of them at the request of the farmers, but the third snare victim got a leg into the snare, so it was an ugly scene.. one leg and his head to be clear. I either left it too open, or it slid open. Made a mess of it

Attachments

• 20210224_095639.jpg
    20210224_095639.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 98
  • 20210222_094024.jpg
    20210222_094024.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 84
Ohhhh. I haven't seen them since that night. I've been giving them a break from the frequent ambushes. One of the ranchers whose farm I'm hunting had an 800lb, (roughly) calf fall through the ice and drown before we could get it out, and he didn't feel like bothering with it, so I took it home and have been butchering it for the last 4 days. I should have it all in the freezer tomorrow afternoon, finally. Coyote hunting has been on hold. I run over and check my trap line, then go back to processing my beef.

Attachments

• 20210221_201632.jpg
    20210221_201632.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 77