Coyote hunting tips

Any tips for hunting small parcels?

Here in KY most of the places I'll hunt are small, 50-200 acres. The farm I deer hunt is 800+ acres though. This country is mostly rolling hills, pasture fields and wood lots, although there are large river bottoms and limestone bluffs too.

The county I live in is bigger then some states . A couple of the ranches I work are over 100,000 acres when you have to have over 20 acres per cow calf for a years feed it takes a lot of range . You won't find the high numbers of coyote here as other places either .

Any tips for hunting small parcels?

Here in KY most of the places I'll hunt are small, 50-200 acres. The farm I deer hunt is 800+ acres though. This country is mostly rolling hills, pasture fields and wood lots, although there are large river bottoms and limestone bluffs too.
What part of Kentucky are you hunting in?

justin most of the places I hunt are small. To be consistently successful in calling on small acreage you have to have bedding areas or feeding areas on or near the property. If you do not have either of these ask and get permission on new property. The biggest mistake I see is calling a place too often. Scout your stands one day and then come back in a few days at the right time and wind. Make sure you can get in without being "seen, heard, or smelled."

justin most of the places I hunt are small. To be consistently successful in calling on small acreage you have to have bedding areas or feeding areas on or near the property. If you do not have either of these ask and get permission on new property. The biggest mistake I see is calling a place too often. Scout your stands one day and then come back in a few days at the right time and wind. Make sure you can get in without being "seen, heard, or smelled."
All of my best properties came from small properties. This is my method for access:

I put an ad on Craigslist, put my phone number on it, and a little bit of personal info. The headline reads "got coyotes", and I post it in the fsrm and garden sale section with the farm implements and goats. I explain in about 2 sentences that if someone has coyote trouble to call or text my number, and I will attempt to help. Most of my calls come from smaller farms, 50-200acres. I go to the area, befriend that person and make an honest attempt or two to hunt coyotes there, even though I know that they aren't there. Then I'll do some locating and find the patch or patches where they are. I'll then explain to the initial contact that I've found where they are hanging out and using on-x, I'll know the landowner's names. Several times they've picked up the phone and gotten me the access themselves, but if they don't offer to, I go to them and knock on the door. I explain that I had gotten a call from the widow white down the road who has had coyotes eating the cats off of her porch, (or whatever caused the initial call), and ask very respectfully if I might be allowed to slip into their patch of ground and make an effort to kill them. Then I can just continue that process. Once you have a few local landowners who have granted you access for this purpose, nobody tells me no. I have a couple of areas that I hunt in where I've had people leave notes on my truck, flag me down in the road, or even go as far as acquiring my phone number from one of the people who gave me access, and reach out to me to ask if I will also come and remove coyotes for them. I send a few dead coyote pics to the landowners periodically, and if I get a couple on say Saturday morning, I might make a lap around visiting and show off the fur to the landowners. Most of them really enjoy seeing the success. It works for me. It is a very non-confrontational way to approach people about access. So, I go to every call, whether they have 10,000 acres or 10 acres, and then start networking.

All of my best properties came from small properties. This is my method for access:

I put an ad on Craigslist, put my phone number on it, and a little bit of personal info. The headline reads "got coyotes", and I post it in the fsrm and garden sale section with the farm implements and goats. I explain in about 2 sentences that if someone has coyote trouble to call or text my number, and I will attempt to help. Most of my calls come from smaller farms, 50-200acres. I go to the area, befriend that person and make an honest attempt or two to hunt coyotes there, even though I know that they aren't there. Then I'll do some locating and find the patch or patches where they are. I'll then explain to the initial contact that I've found where they are hanging out and using on-x, I'll know the landowner's names. Several times they've picked up the phone and gotten me the access themselves, but if they don't offer to, I go to them and knock on the door. I explain that I had gotten a call from the widow white down the road who has had coyotes eating the cats off of her porch, (or whatever caused the initial call), and ask very respectfully if I might be allowed to slip into their patch of ground and make an effort to kill them. Then I can just continue that process. Once you have a few local landowners who have granted you access for this purpose, nobody tells me no. I have a couple of areas that I hunt in where I've had people leave notes on my truck, flag me down in the road, or even go as far as acquiring my phone number from one of the people who gave me access, and reach out to me to ask if I will also come and remove coyotes for them. I send a few dead coyote pics to the landowners periodically, and if I get a couple on say Saturday morning, I might make a lap around visiting and show off the fur to the landowners. Most of them really enjoy seeing the success. It works for me. It is a very non-confrontational way to approach people about access. So, I go to every call, whether they have 10,000 acres or 10 acres, and then start networking.

That is an awesome approach to gain access!

About 10 years ago I weaseled my way into a very large Dairy farm that no one else hunts. There are always coyotes on the hillsides watching over the dairy and the dead piles. I couldn't even tell you how many coyotes I've killed there!

Anyway.... It also opened up access to 50,000 surrounding acres by neighboring farmers. I guess sometimes you just luck into some killer spots! I always make sure I stop in and visit with the farmers to keep them happy about having me around.

I'm about 10 miles west of KY and Barkley dams.

Thanks guys. The problem here is most of the land is leased up by deer hunters and they seem to prefer the coyotes to coyote hunters.
I'm not trying to tell you how to conduct business, but don't let that idea stop you. Go to every door believing that they will grant you access, and think of it like calling coyotes: you've got a lot of different things that you can say, or ways to present yourself, and if you get the combination right, you'll probably get in. Every time someone tells you "no", forget it instantly, and believe the next one will say "yes". You need a salesman mentality. I'm also willing to drive quite a ways to coyote hunt. My biggest group of properties is closer to your house than mine. I'll drive 90 minutes to shoot a coyote without batting an eye.

I'm not trying to tell you how to conduct business, but don't let that idea stop you. Go to every door believing that they will grant you access, and think of it like calling coyotes: you've got a lot of different things that you can say, or ways to present yourself, and if you get the combination right, you'll probably get in. Every time someone tells you "no", forget it instantly, and believe the next one will say "yes". You need a salesman mentality. I'm also willing to drive quite a ways to coyote hunt. My biggest group of properties is closer to your house than mine. I'll drive 90 minutes to shoot a coyote without batting an eye.
I dig your style! I'm not above putting in some miles to chase coyotes, in fact Wednesday I will be driving 3.5 hours to the other end of the state to hunt coyotes on a three day camp out. I'm looking forward to wheat fields, Sagebrush and open county!

Where in TN are you located?

Recent Posts