Coyote hunting tips

alltheway I think you are calling travel corridors. Yes you saw tracks and scat but the dogs are in the next county. You have to do locating. I want to hear them in the same general area before calling.
I know you are right. I didn't do any homework on this spot, just had a few hours to kill and I thought I'd go out in the snow and see if any would come to a call. Today I was driving around the wma, getting my eyes on the terrain, and I identified several huge rocky bluffs on the surrounding private properties that they may be hanging out in. It would allow them to escape the pressure of public land hunters during the day, but be close enough to allow them an easy trip at night, (all methods of night hunting are illegal here). I was looking at some really hard to get to spots on the public that could allow me to slip in pretty close and try to set up. They will each have to be hunted on different days when the winds alow it. Some of them will be multiple mile walks to get to the edges of the public, but I don't mind the work.

meditate , clear your mind , start with a blank piece of paper , don't be a tree cancer , go back and restudy your training manuals , if you can find an english translation of the Spetsnav training manuals or the norweagian s f manuals read and study them . I doubt that the newer seal sniper training manual is declassified yet the guy that rewrote it hasn't been retired very long yet . He's a nice guy that doesn't have to say what he is capable of you will just feel it . Not much in nature has real straight lines so you shouldn't either , slow is smooth smooth is fast every move counts or you don't need to make it . Study , study and study some more .

Howl once then wait for a couple of minutes and howl one more time keep watching they may just come out on high ground to look and just stand there it may be close or far away . Then you can do two howls , two barks and one howls , not real long howls or short sharp howls just normal kind of friendly howls . wait a few minutes and do this again . Depending on the season and other factors they may answer you right away or take their time and sometimes they don't answer back but when they do say the same thing back to them that they said to you ( the reason for hand calls you don't have a set sound and can have quick reaction to reply to them in like sounds ) when they talk and then stop they normally are on the move maybe fast and charging or maybe slow and sneaky there again it depends on the circumstances . Yes fast and furious gets you excited but slow and cautious is to your advantage some thing to think about . That is the reason that I want to be able to control what sounds and how long I make those sounds so I can have some control as to what the coyote reactions are . I prefer more dead coyote to excitement and one dead or rushed shot and looking for a wounded or dead but running coyote that goes some distance before piling up .

Looks like a kill from the night before last

Attachments

• 20210220_122112.jpg
    20210220_122112.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 87
  • 20210220_122109.jpg
    20210220_122109.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 74
  • 20210220_122100.jpg
    20210220_122100.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 73
  • 20210220_122047.jpg
    20210220_122047.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 63
  • 20210220_122046.jpg
    20210220_122046.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 76
  • 20210220_122035.jpg
    20210220_122035.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 85
  • 20210220_122018.jpg
    20210220_122018.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 88
WOW !!!
The only word to describe the kill site .
With so many tracks , there must have been a large pack in on the kill .
More meat taken off that skeleton than what a good butcher could remove .

DMP25-06
I'm setting traps now. Surely they'll be back tonight looking for scraps

With the 2 I got this morning, I've taken 9 out within a mile of this scene in the last month. Imagine how many there must be. My guess is 50 coyotes operating in this area based on tracks and sightings. I saw at least 8 walking nose to tail one evening last week.

Wow, in one night not a shred for left overs. Dave in a couple of weeks I have an opportunity to hunt two ranches that have not been called in over a year. Can't wait to do a few sets with your decoy. Should be a trill. Stay tuned.

Wow, in one night not a shred for left overs.
It may have been 2 nights. I haven't been out there in a while. It was really fresh though, so I wouldn't think more than 2 nights. Of course given the tracks, they may have done it in hours.

every last one of us has had , someone , something or someplace that has made lasting impressions on us that will be there till we die even when we may forget the names of people close to us . For some it's the first coyote . Or the coyote that we had to work hard for . Maybe it's the coyote that landed on top of you off the top of the cut bank you were calling from . Maybe it was a person you worked with somewhere along the line or that taught you something that meant a lot to you . Those things are there with and for every one of us I've known people that were nearing 100 and they had them and wanted to share them still .