• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

Coworker is looking for a hunting rifle

I know ha. Ok 6.5 prc lol
I don't want to get into any kind of arguments but I don't personally use or like using any 6.5mm on elk. I know they've killed a ton of elk but I feel there's better choices. And like I said he's not opposed to getting a bare bones brand new tikka. I just figured I'd see if anyone had something in that price range plus or minus a little that they were thinking of selling is all.

Your good man. I honestly missed the bigger game he wants to chase after. I don't care for the newer cases like the 6.5prc. You may as well step up to something bigger and do all. 7 mag or 300 mag is relatively cheap and most stores carry it. I would say 300wsm but sometimes it's hard to find. If you were to reload for him brass isn't as plentiful as others. 300 mag and 7 mag can shoot an array of bullets. Older browning A bolts are nice.

Your good man. I honestly missed the bigger game he wants to chase after. I don't care for the newer cases like the 6.5prc. You may as well step up to something bigger and do all. 7 mag or 300 mag is relatively cheap and most stores carry it. I would say 300wsm but sometimes it's hard to find. If you were to reload for him brass isn't as plentiful as others. 300 mag and 7 mag can shoot an array of bullets. Older browning A bolts are nice.
Ah no worries bud. I totally agree about 7rm and 300wm. I don't have dies for either. I mostly just reload 6.5cm, 300wsm and 300 Norma and my cousin will occasionally use my press for his 300 prc. I've recommended a cheaper easy to find caliber like you mentioned as well

Hey all, I have a coworker that's interested in getting into hunting but doesn't want to break the bank. He's fully willing to buy a brand new tikka or Remington 700 (something that has aftermarket support if he wants to build it out or into something else eventually). I told him he can just borrow one of my rigs this year and to not get into a hurry and do his own research and told him I'd make a couple posts seeing if someone had something used to offer (not looking for a handout or anything). He's open to calibers and rifles but i think I've steered him into wanting a tikka or a Remington 700. Possibly a weatherby vanguard too. He'd like it to be a multipurpose rifle (elk, deer, bear etc) so he's looking at short or long action magnums. I'll pass along any offers to him and if something strikes him I'll get you guys in touch to handle payment/ffl details. Thanks all
700 Alpha 1 or 700, or model 70. The Alpha 1 would not need anything really. A model 70 just needs a Timney, and a McMillan or Boyd's stock if you get the featherweight imo. Model 70 Tungsten comes in a ok B&C stock. I have my 270 wsm in that same B&C.
Model 70 Tungsten in 300 wsm. Or a Remington Alpha 1 in 7mag 8T. Both in that light mag category. 7mag 8T was a most excellent idea by Remington to keep up with the times. I put together a remage rifle to get that ballistic performance, 180 gr vld-h at 2912 fps. And now you can get it factory. And you could shoot a 180 vld-h, 168 LRX or 150 BD2 with a 8 twist. In factory twists your not gonna get anything better then a 7mag 8T except maybe a 300 prc 9T. My 7mag 8T will run right with my 300 wm 10T with a 208 amax at 2882 fps ballisticly to 1000 yards, slightly better, with just slightly less muzzle energy and recoil, but still plenty.
But on the cheap, a Walmart 700, Timney or TT trigger, bed it in a B&C stock, Warne rings and a Vortex PST II 3x15x44. Nothings really cheap anymore. But if he doesn't need it till next season, save and cry once and buy the McMillan straight out the gate.
Tikka's shoot well. Bergara's do too. Bergara's steel rusts easily, it's why they started ceracoting, the b14 wilderness line. Savage and Ruger don't live in my house but I RSO'ed a couple years at PNTC and saw quite a few and they shot ok as well. Just not my thing.

Are you confident your friend would be able to take possession of a firearm from his FFL before Blacktail deer season opens Oct. 7th?

Remember this is Oregon where Progressive Liberals hate guns.

Current waiting periods due to ballot measure 114 passing has people waiting several months before they get approval. Even with a CHL it can take weeks.

Are you confident your friend would be able to take possession of a firearm from his FFL before Blacktail deer season opens Oct. 7th?

Current waiting periods due to ballot measure 114 passing has people waiting several months before they get approval. Even with a CHL it can take weeks.
Like I said I'm loaning him a rifle this year while he's out with me. He does have a chl. I figured there was a wait but haven't bought anything needing an ffl in several months

Like I said I'm loaning him a rifle this year while he's out with me. He does have a chl. I figured there was a wait but haven't bought anything needing an ffl in several months
Current wait times aren't long. Last week it was a couple of hours. Yesterday it was two days with 2XX people on the wait list. Probably rushed out to get a new firearm with the Labor Day sales.

This is not at all accurate anymore. Right after 114 passed it was indeed true. The last two guns I've bought were within the last 3 months and both were about an hour wait.