Couple new wildcats...

adam32

For your viewing pleasure...

2016-03-10%2012.06.48_zpsz8crfmry.jpg

I'm trying not to say too much so the post doesn't get deleted but we will give it a go anyway...
Our first line is based on the 300 win mag case, we have chamberings in 7mm, 270, 6.5 and 257 cals. We have dubbed these the 284 Diablo, 277 Diablo, 264 Diablo and the 257 Diablo.*
Now to the shooting report. We tested the 284 and 264 yesterday morning in 30mph winds. Didn't really go for any groups with the 284 was more interested in getting a max load and velocity 180 vlds and h1000. It maxed out safe working load right at 3200 fps. We are extremely happy with this as it is right there with the 28 nosler and stw.*

Next up was the 264 Diablo now when we started this project the 26 Nosler and the new 6.5 wby weren't in the picture yet, any how it still has its place. Its designed to fit in 3.4" length actions and to shoot the 150/160 type bullets. Mainly looking for top working load and speed on this one also. Loaded bullets in the 123,140,150, and 160gr with h4831 and rl22. The top loads were 3650, 3475, 3350 and 3225 respectively. As you can see this one is gonna be a laser. One thing the really amazed us with the 264 is we used the same point of aim for all the different loads and all the shots grouped under an inch, this is at 120 yds and also the 264 has a 24.5" barrel.

Also have 6mm and .22 cal based on the 6.5 Rem Mag and a bigger line going on the 338 Norma. gun)

They look to be similar in case length to a 7mmRM case... They appear shorter than the .300WM's standard case length.

I see no reason why the thread should be deleted... yet :)

I'm about to pull the trigger w/PacNor on a 270-300 Win Mag. What would be the advantage of your cartridge.

I have a couple of years and two shot out barrels on a 270 300 Improved RUM and it was simply too much over bore. Figure a 338 RUM or 300 Win parent case would be a better choice.

Only want to push a 140 class offering to around 3300-3400 for a hunting situation out to 1200 yards of so.

Roy, the advantage of this cartridge over the normal 270-300 would be no need for custom dies and much longer barre life. The Diablo round I designed to have a bit longer neck and the shaper double radius shoulder will aid in barrel life. The 277 Diablo will easily push a 140 to the speed you are wanting. If you keep it in the area I think the barrel would last an easy 3-3500 rounds because of the reduced pressures, longer neck, and shoulder angles

Last edited:
Why would this post be deleted? Just curious.

There's a forum rule that sponsorship is required to sell. No selling here. Yet.

Huntinfool18, not familiar with the double radius thing but doesn't that require a special die?

Also is my impression correct that all that is needed for a 270 300 win die is a 300 win die with a 277 bushing?

I'm at the point in life where convenience is gaining heavily on the consideration scale.

I have simply been using 270 wby dies adjusted to the proper level. Obviously this dosnt size all the way to the belt but does neck size and bump the shoulder. Not sizing to the belt will increase brass life by not work Harding the brass as much which is one of the reasons belted cartridges have gotten a bad name.

So basically he just re-invented the Weatherby Mags, but with shorter necks and a slightly longer body... That's what they look like to me.

Mud runner, what's is a down sides to the wbys? Brass is expensive and soft with only a couple of manufactures. What's the advantage of using the 300 win brass? It is readily available in many different brands and qualities. It has more case capacities then the standard wby which inturn gives more power or if you want to match wby speeds it will do it with less pressure which equals longer barrel life. Also it fits and feeds perfect in standard length actions, no need for extended mag boxes. its a win win situation. Might be for some people and not so much for others.

Mud runner, what's is a down sides to the wbys? Brass is expensive and soft with only a couple of manufactures. What's the advantage of using the 300 win brass? It is readily available in many different brands and qualities. It has more case capacities then the standard wby which inturn gives more power or if you want to match wby speeds it will do it with less pressure which equals longer barrel life. Also it fits and feeds perfect in standard length actions, no need for extended mag boxes. its a win win situation. Might be for some people and not so much for others.
I wasn't saying anything negative about them, just stating the obvious length and shoulder design similarities. Me personally, I prefer the 40* shoulder, instead of the round Venturi, but that's my personal opinion.

I'm not really a Wby fan... I like the .257 Wby and .300 Wby alright, but that's about it. But I prefer other cartridges over them.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.