Cougar Hunting

Ive heard that killing a cougar makes more move in the area?
Basically predator hunting doesnt really improve deer numbers in the long term.
That's hippie talk sir.

The study that spawned that idea has been destroyed. It was the idea that when you smack a couple of coyotes, they just have bigger litters the next year, and then you have even more predators. It's something the green weenies invented to push their anti hunting agenda. Nature abhors a vaccum. Areas that are the best will always be filled in when resident predators are killed, but that doesn't make new ones appear from thin air, nor does it change the breeding cycle or the yield. They still only breed once a year, and litter size of any species is confined by condition of health of the mother during pregnancy. Great habitat creates bigger litters and higher survival rates (I'm speaking in generalities here)

If it's a big tom he will probably be on the move. They don't seem to stay in a area very long (looking for love in all the wrong places) ,they are looking for females in heat and if a young tom is around he'll kill it . Cats breed year around not like coyotes. A few years ago we had a big tom that would come through the ranch every winter for several years and we could never catch up with him . I'm sure he came all year long on a regular basis but could't see the tracks without snow. One thing for sure , if people don't kill a few they will put the hurt on a local deer herd (especially in the winter). Just what the anti hunters want. If a cougar kills one deer a week and that deer is carrying two fawns that's three , do the math for five years if all three would live and reproduce.

What I would recommend is whenever you get a little new snow is to ride the logging roads looking for fresh tracks then do some calling. I live in Orygun too so there are as many cats as ever in the mountains & foothills. Attached photo is not me. Cat was taken in foothills not far east of Seattle. A big tom. Hunt with a partner!
That cougar is scary huge! Hunt with a partner for sure!

The study that spawned that idea has been destroyed. It was the idea that when you smack a couple of coyotes, they just have bigger litters the next year, and then you have even more predators.
Id be open to reading some evidence if you have some. My guess is that study just reflects the severely low sucess rate of not being able to hunt with dogs.