Calling in cougar help!

TrentK16

So I picked up a foxpro while ago but just really havent got a chance to use it much. And Im new to predator hunting. I'm looking specifically at using it to call in cougars. Anyone out there have experience doing this with an electronic game call? What sounds do you use? How long to call with a specific sound? Do you switch back and forth between sounds? Any advice will help.

Thanks,
Trent

haven't called them in a while, but in my younger days i found they were most active later in the night and responded well to country music. if that doesn't work, offer to buy their drinks for the rest of the night. be advised their breeding season is year round and there could be pups at the den at any time. don't forget to post pics.

A few years ago my son was using an injured rabbit call, hoping to attract a coyote, badger or perhaps a bobcat. He was not prepared for the Cougar that showed up, out of season. Based on that experience I'd say try the injured rabbit call and enjoy the hunt. gun) ------------------

haven't called them in a while, but in my younger days i found they were most active later in the night and responded well to country music. if that doesn't work, offer to buy their drinks for the rest of the night. be advised their breeding season is year round and there could be pups at the den at any time. don't forget to post pics.

hahaha, I should have seen that coming!

LOL... you are always good for a chuckle or two!! I was pretty sure you weren't going to let this one go by without a little quib! Well done!!:D

Trent.... Were I you.... I'd be **** sure that you have a buddy out there with you that has a shotgun handy. Calling in Mt. lions by oneself is not to be taken lightly. They don't come in like coyotes... hard and fast... and you may likely not even see it coming. Downside is that they tend to be very cautious and will quite often double-check down wind scent to see what other animal might be there to be causing the distress of the given animal you use. You definitely don't want a cougar on your six, unless the type that Djones refered to.... and even then... you might wonder, "What are you doing "back" there?"

Last edited:
I dunno about mt lions but every time I try calling yotes I get bobcats to come in they come in slow .. and watched one circle me 3 times and walked away " can't shoot them were I hunt " they are very quite when coming to bait ...younger ones sound like a squirl running thew woods ...but yea I dunno if I'd hunt mt lion solo

Thanks for the replies, hopefully this next year i can have some luck and hopefully not turn into some furry creatures lunch lol!

TRACK THEM DONT CALL THEM. We track them down in the same areas we call coyotes. No one has been able to call one in that we ever saw. Cut a fresh track after the snow and simply get on it at a constant and steady pace. A steady pace you can maintain and not push it extremely hard. They can be tracked down pretty easily. Keep looking ahead and and you may catch movement. When they start stopping and looking back for you they are close. They will usually not look back after the first time and then their stopping and weaving to get a view of their back trail will increase. Start looking and watching in those distances and locations when you see it and they like to get on a small rock out cropping or elevated edge to look back and down. The most important thing is a fresh track and to hit the roads/trails as soon as you can after the new snow.

Years back Murry Burnham had a mountain lion tape he made for calling them . They are cats and like bobcats or feral cats they move slow and with a purpose for each and every step . So often you will have them within range and not see them , they blend in well and don't move fast , people will walk past them often and not know they did , or they will call them and not realize it . It is one of the times that an hour on the stand might not produce results for you , the volume is important , they will circle around behind you like bobcats do and may land beside you from the top of a cut bank or large rock if you are using to much volume . I have had them set behind me and make a low murmuring growl that will make your skin crawl , error on the side of caution use a low volume , look for something that wasn't there when you started calling or a slow movement , a bump on a hill , knob or higher elevation . Make all of your movements slow and with a reason when you do move . When you are done with your stand don't just get up and leave your stand site , sit look listen , they don't make much if any noise , for several minutes then move slowly out of your position stand and survey the area all around you 360 degrees . A lot of people that I know have seen their tracks in snow where they came in and sat down behind them then left while they were still calling , as they left to go back to their truck .

So I picked up a foxpro while ago but just really havent got a chance to use it much. And Im new to predator hunting. I'm looking specifically at using it to call in cougars. Anyone out there have experience doing this with an electronic game call? What sounds do you use? How long to call with a specific sound? Do you switch back and forth between sounds? Any advice will help.

Thanks,
Trent
I called a cougar in with a mouth call while trying to call coyotes. It stopped at about 120 yards and I hit it in the neck with my 22-250! It was lights out.
Electronic calls are not legal for lions here in Idaho.

I called a cougar in with a mouth call while trying to call coyotes. It stopped at about 120 yards and I hit it in the neck with my 22-250! It was lights out.
Electronic calls are not legal for lions here in Idaho.
Oh the devil of it....I used my mouse squeaker....not my electronic. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it. Have not seen one come in when calling coyotes or bears.