Cougar

I am new here on the board, this is my first post.
Here in WA (prior to the ban on using dogs to tree a cat) they used to use a 22LR on them.
The reasoning was, bleed them out, then they will fall out of the tree once they loose consenous. This prevented the cats from leaping from the tree after being pluged with a high power round and fighting out with the dogs until it expires.
These days here in WA, unless it is a special permit for damage control, the use of dogs is out of the question.
Any standard deer hunting rifle is more than sufficient for putting a cat on the ground.

Good Luck,
Don

Last edited:
come on Roy.... Cat is the "Other" white meat...

Mine was good when I got it .....

backstraps were real tasty !!

Don't know about Cougar meat first hand, but I can attest to bobcat being excellent (cooked over a cedar fire with a touch of salt)!!! MMMMM!

AJ

Don't know about Cougar meat first hand, but I can attest to bobcat being excellent (cooked over a cedar fire with a touch of salt)!!! MMMMM!

AJ

I can tell you first hand Cougar is the best meat ON THE PLANET, when done right. I have traded Elk and prairie Antelope for Cougar, it is that good. It IS the other white meat, and must be cooked to 160+/- as you would pork.
If you have some you want to get rid of, some PM me and I will give you an address to ship it to.
Dave

They can be bigger than many people realize. A big Tom in our area can hit 130-150lb. Any deer rifle will work....last ones we killed were all with a 300WSM. Only reason was that was what we took. I would take anything shooting a 120-150gr bullet. TRACK THEM DONT CALL THEM. We track them down in the same areas we call coyotes. No one has been able to call one in that we ever saw. Cut a fresh track after the snow and simply get on it at a constant and steady pace. A steady pace you can maintain and not push it extremely hard. They can be tracked down pretty easily. Keep looking ahead and and you may catch movement. When they start stopping and looking back for you they are close. They will usually not look back after the first time and then their stopping and weaving to get a view of their back trail will increase. Start looking and watching in those distances and locations when you see it and they like to get on a small rock out cropping or elevated edge to look back and down. The most important thing is a fresh track and to hit the roads/trails as soon as you can after the new snow.

If you are hunting Washington I am pretty sure that Cougar is classified as a big game animal and 6mm caliber is the smallest you can use.

14 years this thread has been sitting idle. 130-150lbs is a big range. I prefer my cougars in the buck twenty range and don't use a rifle, but some charm and slow dancing work nicely typically. 😂

If you are hunting Washington I am pretty sure that Cougar is classified as a big game animal and 6mm caliber is the smallest you can use.
Duck Duck Go search says.....shoot the pee out of them with a 22 centerfire in Wa.

14 years this thread has been sitting idle. 130-150lbs is a big range. I prefer my cougars in the buck twenty range and don't use a rifle, but some charm and slow dancing work nicely typically. 😂
You forgot it takes a Male to get in the buck fifty range......all about what you like. LOL...thanks for the laugh.