Night hunting

FNAR in 7.62 with an atn-x sight. Plan on upgrading to a thermal in the future.
C428C705-04B6-492A-922E-099FE4B46946.jpeg

ATN Thor Thermal on an AR15 in 223 and a CZ 527 in 204 Ruger topped with a Coyote Light in red along with another in red for scanning.

My Thor is the older style with the 100 mm objective. It weighs just under 3# but pulls in images from WAY yonder. I have detected a small number of scattered grazing elk at 3.5 miles. Coyotes from 2000 yds.

Three44s

I like your night vision scope... Isn't it scope from AGM ( on of these: https://www.agmglobalvision.com/night-vision ) ?.. It looks pretty familiar to one of those. I've been using scope called AGM PVS14-OMEGA 3AL1 pretty long time, and what I can say is that, those night vision scopes are durable and reliable as hell.

Last edited:
Wow some trick looking rigs, Maine allows night hunting or shooting over bait. We call on good moonlight and snow on ground in field edges. Freezing skinned beaver carcases in bog flowages by the tail or dead calves while sitting off where you can stay warm (blind or shooting house) and see. I use a savage 7mm-08 with a zeiss conquest 3.5x10-44.

Sir how does that do for you,i use a coyote light and am good out to 200 yards,most night shots are closer.Worth it or save for a thermal? THX

I'd save for the thermal. The X sight does well, but it's not much better than just using a coyote light. It still requires an external light, just one in the IR band so it's not visible to the naked eye. Range is probably the same. I do like the features of being able to stream the video to your phone and record videos though. I didn't want to spend the money on a thermal originally and this has bridged the gap for me, but I think buying a thermal puts you into another league when it comes to night hunting.

I'd save for the thermal. The X sight does well, but it's not much better than just using a coyote light. It still requires an external light, just one in the IR band so it's not visible to the naked eye. Range is probably the same. I do like the features of being able to stream the video to your phone and record videos though. I didn't want to spend the money on a thermal originally and this has bridged the gap for me, but I think buying a thermal puts you into another league when it comes to night hunting.
THX,i'm working lots of side jobs,so a thermal is in the not so distant future,can anyone steer me in the direction as far as brands,etc,i want lightweight,and performance. I might be dangerous with a thermal,oh wait i'm dangerous if you're a coyote.

I have a pulsar rifle scope and monocular. They are great. I don't have any experience with any other brands, so I can't say pulsar is the best, but I like them a lot. Just don't go with anything that has a resolution less than 640x480 and you will be good to go. My units will both detect a heat signature out past a mile, and I can positively ID the species I'm looking at at about 600 yards.

And if you plan on doing a lot of night hunting, plan on buying a monocular as well as a rifle scope. You don't want to always have to raise your rifle to scan what's out there. That will get old in a hurry.

The Pulsar is a great unit. However, if you want top of the line look at the REAP-IR. Save your pennies it also comes with a top of the line price.

And if you plan on doing a lot of night hunting, plan on buying a monocular as well as a rifle scope. You don't want to always have to raise your rifle to scan what's out there. That will get old in a hurry.
I probably can't go with a monocular at the same time,would a coyote light work for scanning?I've used my wicked coyote light for a year now and have had decent results on the darkest nights,out to 250 yards,farthest night shot so far.THX

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.