copper solids in a 22-284

Bob the nailer

Just wondering about bullets advertised as solid copper, I shoot a fast twist 22-284 and have occasional bullets not reaching the target (75 grain A-max). The bore is not shot out as I am way under 100 rounds down the tube and shots are one minute apart in below 30 degree temps. Would solid copper bullets hold together better? in a 8 twist at 3500fps.

Try the 80 gr Berger. Myself and a friend shoot these out of our 22-284's at just under 3600 fps. Never had one come apart.

That's really odd... I have many acquaintances that shoot the A-Max out of 22-243's at 3400-3600 fps & they don't come apart....

To answer your question, yes the solids will retain form. You could drive them to 4000fps & still be just fine as there is no jacket to separate from the core. Keep in mind, mono's will be more expensive...

Look at the heavier match offerings as Beeman suggested Berger, Sierra or Nosler. They should have no problem getting it done.

t

I shoot the 75gr A-Max (moly) bullet at 3,670 ft/sec in an 8 twist and never dusted a bullet. I believe that moly coating and loading into the lands reduces the stress on jackets as they initially engrave thus maintaining bullet integrity.
It might be worth a try if you'd like to keep using the same bullet.

Bob the nailer,

...have occasional bullets not reaching the target (75 grain A-max)

Is the throat clean and smooth?

What style of rifling is in the barrel?

How many bullets fail out of 100?

I shoot the 75 gr. AMAX out of a 22-243AI but through a Bartlein barrel with 5R rifling. I've also used the same bullet in a 22-6mm Rem. Improved through a Schneider barrel with polygonal rifling. In both barrels there have been a few failures but I attribute those few to the bullet construction itself. The nose is fairly thin on the AMAX design and there is some extremely slight inconsistency in the manufacturing.

I mentioned 2 other manufacturers in another thread:

Cutting Edge

GS Custom USA

Both manufacturers have target bullets as well as hunting bullets in mono-metallic designs. The price is more than AMAX for sure but the manufacturing process is different.

Regards.

I wish cutting edge would make a larger 22 bullet the current one only requires a one in 9 twist so it seems like if enough guys were interested we could get them to make a heavy offering for large 22 caliber shooters. something in the 80 or 85 grain range would probably shoot out of a 7 twist at large 22 velocities.

Just got finished with a 22-284. Shooting 80amax @3575. Also shot some 69smk to 3900 27" 8t benchmark

Just got finished with a 22-284. Shooting 80amax @3575. Also shot some 69smk to 3900 27" 8t benchmark

What is your O.A.L. with your 22-284 and 80's?

With Rem. 6mm brass getting so hard to find my dad's TTH (22-6mm) could be getting turned into a 22-284 sooner rather than later but his TTH is built on a Rem 700 Short Action and I'm not sure it will be long enough when loaded with the 80 or 90 grainers. Maybe with an extended mag box it work better in a SA 700.

One thing to remember with these mono bullets and hand lapped custom barrels like ours is we need to know if you plan on shooting monos so we can lap accordingly.
Chris
Benchmark Barrels

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.