copper removal

rbcowboy

Well here I am again needing info!!! I'm curious as to what you guys use to remove copper fouling? Or just your cleaning process in itself. I'm shooting a Howa 1500 in .300 win mag it only has 60 rounds through it and I did the shoot and clean shoot and clean shoot and clean break in for the first 20 rounds and now after 10-15 rounds and clean it seems like there is no end to the amount of copper in this barrel!!! I'm using Sweets 7.62 and Gunslicks Copper Klenz and it is removing the copper but like I say it just seems never ending!!! Any suggestions or hints or hey your doing it wrongs would be greatly appreciated!!!

Ensure there is no brass parts on the cleaning end of the rod. A brass ferrel will will drive ya nuts.

Something I tried the other day was to plug the nozzle with a rubber type ear plug and mix up 50/50 Wipeout accelerator and Patchout, put the muzzle down and fill half way up the chamber and let set over night.

Seemed to work pretty well.

BoreTech Eliminator is my favorite.

Thanks RoyInIdaho I will have to pay close attention to that as I am using a brass jag and am sure other components I'm using contain brass as well!!! I guess I need to concentrate on finding only stainless or nylon items. If i look down through the bore from the action all appears nice and shiny and squeaky clean but if i look down the muzzle i can see what appears to be copper on anywhere from one-all of the riflings and it is driving me nuts as this is a new rifle and I am trying to determine its worth in accuracy and would prefer fouling to be the least of my factors

RB, Wipe Out works best for copper in my barrels. I twist a piece of paper towel to a point and jam it in the chamber. Spray the Wipe Out foam down the muzzle and cover muzzle with a nitrile glove finger. Leave it overnight, patch out and repeat process if the patch is bright blue. Use a good bore guide (Lucas is top quality). Saves wear and tear on the lands with a lot less traffic in the barrel. Will not bother chromoly, stainless or stock finishes. Good luck

WIPE OUT, with or with out the accelerator

I like Bore Tech Eliminator and Bore Tech Copper +2. These are my favorites for quick copper removal when I need to use the gun in short order.

If I can allow the rifle to sit overnight, I use Wipeout and leave it in the bore overnight.

Never used the Wipeout with the Accelerator. Guys that have used Wipeout with the Accelerator product - is it worth the extra cost? Does it improve the effectiveness of copper removal? Or simply reduce the time to remove the copper compared to Wipeout alone?

I like Bore Tech Eliminator and Bore Tech Copper +2. These are my favorites for quick copper removal when I need to use the gun in short order.

If I can allow the rifle to sit overnight, I use Wipeout and leave it in the bore overnight.

Never used the Wipeout with the Accelerator. Guys that have used Wipeout with the Accelerator product - is it worth the extra cost? Does it improve the effectiveness of copper removal? Or simply reduce the time to remove the copper compared to Wipeout alone?

I've heard a lot of good things about BoreTech Eliminator though I've never used it personally. For hard core copper I still fall back to Barnes CR10, pretty nasty stuff but it's never failed to kick copper's *** for me.

I now almost universally use WipeOut + the Accelerator. I can't say it removes copper any faster but the reduced wait time is wortht the $$ to me. Also saves the time & repetitive brush strokes that, if done improperly can damage your barrel.

To the OP- don't worry about cleaning your rifle to death. The bore does not have to be 100% clean to perform. From my point of thinking, when you clean your bore to 100%... the very first round you fire puts the copper right back where you worked tirelessly to remove it. Remove the carbon & what copper you can & go shoot it. Just my .002

t

I use gun slick bore foam, it gets it done with a couple applications. If its heavily fouled I will use a bronze brush with the foam. I used to obsess over that little bit of copper left on the lands. But figured I was doing more harm by scrubbing than it was worth. I would spend a couple of hours trying to get that tiny smear of copper of the lands. And the very first shot put it right back on. Remington 40x bore cleaner works good for heavy fouling. It might help with barrel break in because it has some abrasive grit.

Guys that have used Wipeout with the Accelerator product - is it worth the extra cost? Does it improve the effectiveness of copper removal? Or simply reduce the time to remove the copper compared to Wipeout alone?

For me Boretech Eliminator is head and shoulders above Wipeout w/Accelerator.

However, a mix of Wipeout & Accelerator used to fill the bore works really well for longer soaks. It foams up like the overnight Wipeout and seems to clean all copper in one lengthy soaking but not overnight as was how I used Wipeout before I switched to BoreTech. I'm only doing this as the Wipeout in the foaming can is unavailable around here.....again.....

Something I tried the other day was to plug the nozzle with a rubber type ear plug and mix up 50/50 Wipeout accelerator and Patchout, put the muzzle down and fill half way up the chamber and let set over night.

Well I just realized the company that makes Wipe-Out and Accelerator, also makes the product they call Patch-Out. Now I understand your Post. Only product of theirs I've ever tried is the foaming bore cleaner called Wipe-Out. Which has worked well for me when I leave it in the bore overnight. Sometimes a second treatment has been required to get rid of the bluish copper removal staining on the follow-up patch.

I went to the company's web site to better inform myself, and they state that Patch-Out is twice as effective as Wipe-Out.

I would think that filling the bore with Patch-Out and Accelerator should do the job, even on the worst fouled bore.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.