Copper monolithic bullets, like barnes (i tried some)

There is certainly no shortage of copper bullets available for experimenting. If you add in the lead core options, a person could spend a lifetime testing and still not scratch the surface of "best" bullet for every application. Most loaders will be able to choose a few and test for accuracy at their intended range and be happy. Some will proclaim there are only a very few that should be considered based on their personal experience. I submit that common sense using known bullet design and bullet placement rule the day in hunting.
Agreed!

We've been exclusively Barnes since the early '90's. At this point I wouldn't consider anything other than Barnes …..except perhaps Hammer's!

I've never done any loading in .30 calibers…..but would expect great performance from them as well.

I developed a new load last summer using LRX's for my rifle, but never got to draw blood with them yet! Maybe this year. 🤞

Perhaps the easiest load developed with the least amount of components used in my near 55+ years of hand loading. Fast and accurate…..not much more to ask of a bullet!

We've taken animals from coyotes to moose using the "original" X Bullet, to the TSX's, TTSX's and now the LRX. I firmly believe that the LRX will work just as effectively as the previous Barnes Bullets, plus having better BC's!

If Barnes would make something around 225 grains in an LRX…..I'd build a load with them for my wife's rifle. Though, the 225 TTSX's have done great for many years!

Good Luck using yours this next hunting season! memtb
I use Barnes TTSX in my 300 Wby shooting 180g at 3,200 FPS. Getting sub .50 groups at 100 yards, and have shot steel out to 850. Took my first bull elk last season, quartering towards me, hit the shoulder passed through the back side rib, excellent results.

I use Barnes TTSX in my 300 Wby shooting 180g at 3,200 FPS. Getting sub .50 groups at 100 yards, and have shot steel out to 850. Took my first bull elk last season, quartering towards me, hit the shoulder passed through the back side rib, excellent results.
I also had great results on a few pigs shooting 127g Barnes in my little known round 6.5 Creedmoor.

I shoot the 140 ttsx thru my 7-08 at 3060 and if I do my part a 5 shot string is all touching at 100yds . They have worked on two hogs and two javalina so far no tracking required.
Just started with the 145 lrx in my 280ai but it's way early in the barrel break in yet to get a good read . Only 20 rounds down the pipe.
I've got some 180 gr ttsx I'm going to test in my 300 rum in the next few days and see where they go.
Those are some impressive numbers from your 7-08, how long is the barrel and what powder are you using? I have a build I've yet to shoot and this bullet is on the list. Thanks

Those are some impressive numbers from your 7-08, how long is the barrel and what powder are you using? I have a build I've yet to shoot and this bullet is on the list. Thanks
It's a custom built off a interarms Mauser . It's got a 26inch brux barrel and I'm running it suppressed.
PLEASE NOTE WORK UP YOUR OWN LOAD .
IM RIGHT AT PRESSURE AND IT DOES LEAVE A SLIGHT EXTRACTOR MARK! NO OTHER ISSUES.

The load is
Lapua brass ,fed 215 primer, 51.3 gr staball6.5 and a 140 gr ttsx.
I had thought about backing it down a grain or two but it just flat shoots amazing.

Attachments

• 20230225_104649.jpg
    20230225_104649.jpg
    566.3 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
I had never used them really. I thought I had heard they aren't that accurate.

But I bought a box of barnes 168 lrx in
.284" caliber for my 7prc.

I just picked a load and .050 jump based on measurement with hornady oal Guage with casing and bullet and caliper.

View attachment 573469

First group was pretty good at 100 yds.

Good stats.View attachment 573470

And saved one for 500 yard to shoot at 8 inch plate. Strelok dial up was spot on and I aimed .25mil to the right into the wind.

I think this will be my elk bullet. What are your experiences with these bullets?

In terms of accuracy/fouling/terminal performance?

Thanks

Well, I'll say it if no one else will.....good shooting! 3 in one hole at 100 yds...!

I had never used them really. I thought I had heard they aren't that accurate.

But I bought a box of barnes 168 lrx in
.284" caliber for my 7prc.

I just picked a load and .050 jump based on measurement with hornady oal Guage with casing and bullet and caliper.

View attachment 573469

First group was pretty good at 100 yds.

Good stats.View attachment 573470

And saved one for 500 yard to shoot at 8 inch plate. Strelok dial up was spot on and I aimed .25mil to the right into the wind.

I think this will be my elk bullet. What are your experiences with these bullets?

In terms of accuracy/fouling/terminal performance?

Thanks

I used them in my 270 WSM,110grain. Accurate & deadly! D.

It's a custom built off a interarms Mauser . It's got a 26inch brux barrel and I'm running it suppressed.
IM RIGHT AT PRESSURE AND IT DOES LEAVE A SLIGHT EXTRACTOR MARK! NO OTHER ISSUES.

The load is
I had thought about backing it down a grain or two but it just flat shoots amazing.
I have yet to use sta Bil 6.5 in my two 7-08's. My barrel is only 22" so i hope to get around 2875fps

I started loading Barnes bullets after some jacket separation shooting elk with Sierra GameKing. The original X bullets didn't shoot as tight a group as the Sierra bullets but back then it was Barnes or Nosler for "hunting" bullets. I never got the Nosler partitions to group less than 3" to 4" inches at a hundred. So we stayed with the Barnes. When the TTSX's came out I was pleased as I could be with the accuracy of these bullets. We have used the Barnes bullets only since the inception of the TTSX's. Many elk, deer and antelope have fallen to this brand. Won't say all were DRT but I don't think we have lost any to a well placed shot.
For many years we used standard cup and core bullets without any concern of lead in the meat. Now that we are older and (maybe) wiser, lead in the meat is something we don't care to deal with.

There is a lot of internet chatter around saying to get bear groups for monos you need to have a clean bore without any guilding metal left behind. So a rifle kind of becomes a copper only for bet accuracy. TBD for me but this is what the you tubers are saying. I wonder if barrel break in is different for a mono vs copper over lead?

The load is
How did you select the Fed 215 primer for that load? Did you experiment with different primers? Just curious. Thanks

I have yet to use sta Bil 6.5 in my two 7-08's. My barrel is only 22" so i

How did you select the Fed 215 primer for that load? Did you experiment with different primers? Just curious. Thanks
At the time (primer shortage) it was all I had . I did try some 210 and they work but the 215 seems better. I did just shoot all the ammo I had but I will put some more together and post a target when I can .

Recent Posts