Copper fouling after Losso use

The Tubbs process is essentially the same as the NECO process, except that with the NECO kit, you embed the polishing compound on the bullets yourself. It's labor and time consuming but it sure makes the barrel smooth. Works especially well on barrels you want to shoot lead out of, in which case you use a lead bullet to polish the bore. If using the kit on a barrel that shoots jacketed, use jacketed bullets.
Cheers,
crkckr

Again, thank you for all of the replies, I am on vacation so I thought I would see what I could do with the barrel and maybe recover it for a while but I haven't had any luck yet!! If I clean it spotless I get about 10 rounds of .5 moa then it goes to about 2 moa. I got permission from the wife to send it to Meredith but again.....I want to wait until after the Christmas rush.

Since it is on a Winchester action I may just put a 308 barrel on it for a bolt action 308. I have a GAP AR10 308 but never hurts to have a bad *** bolt gun to back it up!!Lol

Taz, you're right about a .308 which happens to be one of my customs with a Hart barrel. It has a pretty tight chamber so I can't even chamber standard factory ammo in it but I have a Rem. 788 that I use for that kind of stuff. Still shoots ok, just over 1 MOA but it's starting to get tired. Like me, old and worn out! Still fun for now but it's days are clearly numbered!
Cheers,
crkckr

I had to get my Short Action Customs 6.5PRC out and shoot some rounds just give me some confidence back that I can still shoot!!lol

Beluebow...you are right....this barrel owes me nothing.

After Isso or Flitz, I usually clean the bore with denatured alcohol and follow that with a snug patch wet with 'Lock-Ease', which has graphite included in a lightweight oil. After the bore has 'aired out' and dried for a few minutes, then I run one dry patch through the barrel in order to remove any excess, but still leave the light graphite/oil coating in place. I've found the barrels don't copper foul as much and are far easier to clean the next time. Lock Ease is available at most hardware or ranch supply stores and possibly at Walmart as well.

My wife just asked me why I don't just sell this thing...I said what is my marketing scheme, great gun with a perfectly straight barrel??:oops:

So I have a 260 that I use to shoot matches and it has done very well. Usually shoots in the .3 range with H4350/142smk combo. Last week the groups opened up so I looked at it with a bore scope and noticed the fire-cracking has some pretty good carbon I couldn't get out. I used a small bit of Losso on a nylon bore tech brush after doing my normal bore tech patch and brush work then I flushed out the Losso and it looked clean with no 'grit" feeling from the dry patch. Looked good and it went back to shooting .3 inch groups but after 35 rounds the group opened way up.

I looked at it with he bore scope again and it has copper streaks everywhere in the barrel and it has never done that before. I used very little Losso and the barrel has about 2900 rounds through it so I suppose it could be getting close to the end of it's career but the copper fouling seems odd. I did not use enough Losso and strokes to hurt anything I didn't think but maybe I am missing a step to re-polish the bore. I tried a little JB bore past on a patch to polish it a little more then shot it yesterday and the same thing....35-40 round in 5 shot groups with 40 minutes between strings and it copper fouled then opened up.

Am I missing a step or is the barrel done?
At 2900 rnds. it's done

Removed the scope and stuff last night so it can be cased up and sent out to Meredith. This rifle has a very heavy contour 22 inch barrel and he thinks he has a Brux 30 caliber or a 6.5 caliber in stock. I have considered a 6mm Creedmoor for fun but I have a metric ton of 308 bullets and Lapua brass so I may just do that.

I figured it was at the end of it's accuracy node. It just confused me a little that it will shoot 5-7 half moa 5 shot groups then opens up to 1.5 inches. I will wait until after the holidays to ship it out. They lose enough stuff during slow times let alone with this time of year!!lol
Perfect time to try out different solvents and processes that you have not tried before and add to your knowledge base for future use. Good luck!

Ed

I need a barrel reamer to make it a 7mm-08!! 😂

I spent some time last night with a bore scope and tooling to see if when I used the brush with Losso I caused some issues. It looks like when I went back and forth with the Losso and brush I may have pulled up some of the edges of the fire cracking because it is stripping brass off the bullet and fouling really bad in that are now. That is just a hypothesis based off using a long pick to see how smooth it is. The pick seems to catch on some of the fire cracking but only on the return or when pulled back to the action. After 10 shots yesterday it has a ton of copper fouling in it.

It's disassembled now and ready to ship out.

The barrel is done, I wouldnt waste anymore time or money on it.
The same thing that happens in a new barrel when you have to " fire lap" the throat for a few rounds to get it to stop is happening know after your throat is so fire cracked its depositing misty copper down the barrel.

After Isso or Flitz, I usually clean the bore with denatured alcohol and follow that with a snug patch wet with 'Lock-Ease', which has graphite included in a lightweight oil. After the bore has 'aired out' and dried for a few minutes, then I run one dry patch through the barrel in order to remove any excess, but still leave the light graphite/oil coating in place. I've found the barrels don't copper foul as much and are far easier to clean the next time. Lock Ease is available at most hardware or ranch supply stores and possibly at Walmart as well.

I saw Speedy talking about that too, my Lock ease will be here today.