cooper 260 rem

airstream

let me have it boys! I just ordered a cooper in 260rem with intetions of letting both myself and my girlfriend punch an elk at 100-500 yards. its not to late to change the caliber. I want to be able to enjoy the rifle back home in Virginia without my girl getting flinch happy.

Never seen a caliber kill an elk but have seen a train car full killed with bullets - use a good bullet and the 260 at those ranges placed in the correct spot will do just fine.

Which Cooper did you buy? I bought an Excalibur mdl 52 in the Bell & Carlson desert Camo, 280AI. I have had a couple months and still haven't shot it......... Yeah I know, work, kids job etc.

.260 is a great round, buddy just traded a guy for a Rem in 260. Hadn't killed anything with it yet but he has loaded up some rounds for it and it shoots well.

Thats what I tell people bullet placement over bullet size all day long.

I baught the Varminter m-22 with a blued barrel. I was set on a excaliber or phoenix but , two things, I want the gun heavy and I want it to look great for that kind of money, I figure I can buy a 400$ nice synthetic stock later.

any sugestions on bullets. Berger VLD 140GR or Barnes TSX 120

and what is my max yards with a well placed shot? I have only hunted white tail and frankly I would punch a deer with a .22 magnum behind the shoulder.

Understood on the wood Cooper makes a nice looking stick as I have one in wood as well.

However, mine is not only heavy (more than 8lbs), it has been given the blessing of being good looking as well....

Good luck with your load development

here is my stick just so you can see a pretty composite.

Cooper52028.jpg

Cooper52008.jpg

Cooper52016.jpg

wow that is a great looking rifle and I love the fluted barrel + bolt. I was opting for that exact paint on the phoenix but i let people talk me out of it. I still might get it when I get the extra money and save the wood. how do you like the scope the low profile is awsome ,out of my price range , but awsome.

Last edited:
This is an older thread but I would like to hear an update.

The 260 Rem really interests me.

Any comments on this cartridge are appreciated. Mainly target practice out to 500 yards and learning how to reload rifle.

Many thanks.

the rifle was used to shoot a 6x6 bull elk dead center in the side of the neck, passed through completly. 130 grain partition. light load.

my main sugestion is to get the desired twist rate for the longer bullets that are required at long ranges. I am a beginner and was shooting 1moa at 300 ( 3 inch group )yards with little work.

bergers shot well but not shure about using them as a premier humting load, i am shure they would be fime with correct bullet placement.

I have not got a chance to shoot any light bullets yet , I expect my group size to shrink in half, as my rifle has a 1-9 twist, most of what I read says you need 1-8 twist to stabalize the longer bullets that people are using. but I believe real bennifit is out past 500 yards

airstream, many thanks or getting back to me. The more I read about that cartridge the more I think it is going to give me what I need for now.

Surprised to hear you have a 1-9 twist as I read the Cooper in 260 Rem are 1-8. I am no expert but i can't see that making all that much difference.

---

big bullseye - that is a very beautiful rifle, I hope you are enjoying it, looks like a dream to me.

Best to all.

All the Cooper 6.5's were a 1 in 9" until December. I called in November and they told me they were going to change to a 1 in 8" in December.

well that kinda sucks, I expressed my desire to have the twist rate changed and Cooper said that it was good at 1-9 , saying they test shot 142 gr match kings, ( at 30 yards ). it would have been 300$ to get a custum twist. I know where there is one brand new 1-9 varmeter if anyone is interested

It ain't going to make any difference but if you want to unload then post pics.

Dominion outdoors in Virginia, should still have a cooper in 260, Cooper sent me the wrong barrel in stainless , I wanted it blued, Dominion kept the rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.