Conversation with Richard Franklin about the 300 Varminter..

WHOA!!!! Welcome aboard John T. You've just insulted 99 percent of the member here on your first post.

Whoops, that's not a good start then is it?

How many people can I still talk to in the 1%?:D

Regards,
JohnT

I'm sure you could talk to wildcat, but he isn't here anymore. Probably could get a good deal on his 300 varminter too. Kinda nice around here with him gone.

JohnT

You didn't insult me !! I must be a 1%er.

Anyway good to have you on board.

There are some very good shooters on this site and sometimes it is
hard to remain objective on some issues (I have been guiltyof this
my self on some occasions) and then someone will make a post
like yours that will bring things back into perspective.

Fortunately we live in America and can still make our own choices.

Thanks
J E CUSTOM

Not insulted one bit. I wouldnt mind having one of richard's rifles, but not the 300 varmiter(well not at the pressures described as safe by some). I hear he is a excellent gunsmith. I hate his name got splashed around here so much by someone who was a little overzealous.

I dont post often but have been reading for yrs but read this post and thought I would state that I do not know much about the 300 Varminter and nor do I care to debate on it,but I have spent quite a few hrs in richards shop over the last 6 or 7 yrs and have had him build at least 5 complete rifles and a few other rebarrels and have always had a top quality rifle when completed and can say without a doubt he is a first class gunsmith and has alway taken time to talk with me about any projects he has worked on for me.

I would highly recomend him.

Jared Costa

I have read with interest those threads about the 300 Varminter for several reasons and I think in Richard's case that round works very well for a specific task. When most think 'varminting', they think of prairie poodles and hundreds of rounds a day. In Richard's case, he is a groundhog enthusiast. I've gone to Ohio several times to shoot groundhogs and typically I got 15-30 shots in a day. Frankly I enjoy it much more than prairie dog hunting as it is a whole different game. Lots of glassing, scouting, walking, etc... It's a very enjoyable 'hunt'. Prairie dogs are fun too, but driving up to a town and setting up benches or bipods and slinging hundreds of rounds from a couple positions to me is not as enjoyable as spending some time with a good friend in the scattered woodlots and fields of hill country in Ohio. In that situation, I can imagine the impact of a 110gr bullet at such velocities (actually I think I saw it on some of Richard's videos) and the trajectory should be spectacular and well suited to the task.

I have Richards pillar bedding and rebarelling videos and respect him as a quality smith that knows what he is doing and am happy he personally didn't get bashed over this.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.