Contact lens

willtim

I am planning a mid November Colorado 5-7 day backpack hunt. Elevation between 7,000 to 10,000 feet. I wear contacts for distance vision. I remove them nightly. For those that do the same, how do you manage them? Carry a small mirror? Ditch them for glasses ( I HATE glasses ) ? Thanks for your experience and advice.

If you are traveling from a lower altitude with higher humidity --- make sure you use drops throughout the day to keep them moist. I have known several people that scratched their cornea because their lenses dried out during the day

don't need a mirror to put them in so I'm no help there but when I pull them out at night I put the case in my pocket as putting a cold contact in your eye in the morning isn't as nice as a warm one. Maybe get used to putting them in now without a mirror

I am planning a mid November Colorado 5-7 day backpack hunt. Elevation between 7,000 to 10,000 feet. I wear contacts for distance vision. I remove them nightly. For those that do the same, how do you manage them? Carry a small mirror? Ditch them for glasses ( I HATE glasses ) ? Thanks for your experience and advice.

I no longer wear contacts (LASIK) and I too do not need a mirror to put them on. The mirror is not a bad idea; it can serve many purpose as well, i.e., signalling for help and firestarter. As @laker noted, it is not a bad idea to practice before hand, with or without a mirror, esp. when it is dark. You'll see that even with a mirror, it can be challenge when it is dark. In the past, I wear my glasses to the spot and but them on while I am glassing, by then there is more light to contend with. Eye drops (@cohunt) and goggles (I know you said glasses) are never a bad thing espe. on windy days ... and always bring your glasses as back-up. Good luck!

Last edited:
Another thought would be use the air optics night and day so you don't have to take them out at night. I've been using them for years now with good success.

You should not need a mirror to put them in. I'm 41 and have worn contacts since I was 14. I ditched the mirror at 15. When I backpack hunt I carry a simple contact case filled with fluid, if it's 3 days or less no refill. But I also carry a spare set of unopened lenses in case I lose or tear one. Hasn't happened yet...

One thing I did on a 10 day hunt was get some daily lens to wear. One time use and new pair next day. There are more than one brand of dailies.

Makes it nice regarding not having to worry about cleaning them nightly. Plus, I personally don't like to wear my lens multiple days in a row even though I wear a lens that can be worn 30 straight days.

That's likely the way I'd do again on an extended hunt especially camping.

like others have said, i'd get some daily lens to wear if i were going to be out in the woods for several days. just throw them in the fire and open a new pack the next day. also, it's not that hard to put them in without a mirror. just takes doing it a few times. but if you must, just pack a tiny mirror. i bet an army surpplus store would have a good tough small one you could get for cheap.

I wear monthly lenses. I always pack a spare set. But you should be able to put them in without a mirror, I haven't used one since I was 12,

Highly recommend the night and days that don't actually have to be taken out at night. Get a bottle of Systane Ultra eye drops and just put a drop in each eye before you go to bed and when you wake up. The night and days don't dry out nearly as much as the dailys, which is useful during long day hunts in high, dry places. They are a little thicker than most contacts but that's never bothered me. Not having to mess with trying to take things out or put things back on your eye after gutting an animal or whatever is a very welcome change. Try them out. Daily lenses would be my second choice, traditional contacts would be third.

Pay for the good eye drops though. My wife's an Optometrist, and those Systanes are what I use.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.