Congrats Jerry Teo

B.Stanley

Congrats Jerry Teo. I saw your gun on 6mmbr.com on the gun of the week. That is one sweet looking and shooting rig. For any or you all who have not seen it then check it out. It is a good little write up on the 6.5 mystic. Jerry did you build the rifle yourself? and how does the barrel block on that light of a gun work? Thanks

Ben

This is the first time I have seen this post so very sorry for a much belated reply.

I had the metal work done for me but I did all the stock work and fittings.

As was said in my 6mmBR post, the block serves two purposes - to support the barrel so there is no fear of bending the action, and as a heat sink for those long F class relays during the hot months.

The Savage action is strong/rigid enough to support the barrel so a block is not necessarily needed.

However, we all know that barrels can do funny things when they get hot and shooting up to 25rds in short order gets pipes VERY HOT.

The block has worked superbly in both roles. With my match barrels, I have yet to see any flyers, group expansion due to heat. There are certainly no issues with feeding and firing.

I also find that balance of the rifle is much better as the block centralises the weight. Some shooters are using very thick long barrels to help with heat control. This places the weight well forward requiring alot of rear ballast to balance.

That reduces the options for putting weight to better use.

Thanks for your kind comments and I hope that this will help you try F class shooting. It is a lot of fun.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.