Compressed 308 Varget Loads little info please

I'm .02 off lands with 42.5 grs varget
168 amax Lapua brass I still got a little room but I modify my magazines and trimmed my feed ramp
So having a compressed with any brass using varget is not unusual

Go to Walmart. buy a $3-$4 sonic toothbrush. Use the brush to vibrate your case and powder. The powder level will drop, and you will have less to no load compression. Worked for me with Federal cases, IMR 4064 and Tipped Match Kings.
Someone else mentioned the Sonic tooth brush. I tried it. It actually worked to gain more volume. Who would have thunk? My vibratory tumbler helped but that tooth brush thing cracked me up.
Still chuckling. It worked....

I use a cheap black and decker sander and a piece of lexan. I'll charge all my cases and gently hold lexan over case mouths while I run the sander against the bottom of my loading bench. I can settle the powder in all 50 cases and the lexan prevents any grains of powder from jumping out of cases

As others have stated, there is no issue with compressing Varget. In fact some will swear that Varget loves to be crunched.

The only issue to be worried about is if your bullets are being pushed back out. Tapping the charged cases on the bench helps to settle some. Also the Lee crimp die works well—i know some folks look down upon Lee but their crimp dies are really fantastic (and $13).

Compressed loads for target shooting are fine. For hunting loads there is no way I want compressed loads. Depending on the bullet weight, there are lots of powders that will give you max velocity, good accuracy and no compression so I choose one of them for my hunting loads in 308.

Compressed loads for target shooting are fine. For hunting loads there is no way I want compressed loads. Depending on the bullet weight, there are lots of powders that will give you max velocity, good accuracy and no compression so I choose one of them for my hunting loads in 308.
I'm not trying to start an argument
I just want to know for target and not for hunting?
Temp variations,humidity ,altitudes?

I'm not trying to start an argument
I just want to know for target and not for hunting?
Temp variations,humidity ,altitudes?

Did not think you were trying to start an argument. I was actually responding to the OPs original question and from it I could not tell if he was talking target loads or hunting loads.

As far as target loads go, I have shot quite a lot of compressed Varget loads. Varget is very temp stable, and I have never seen humidity affect Varget loads with respect to pressure or velocity at the muzzle either. It does of course affect ballistics further out on all loads. Altitude does have an affect on all ballistics but I can't honestly say I ever tried to correlate Altitude or Humidity to compressed versus non-compressed loads. Would be interesting to hear from anyone who has actually done that kind of testing.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts