Compressed 308 Varget Loads little info please

Steve Baker

Working up a load for my 308 using 168 TTSX, Peterson 308 Win Match Brass and Varget. The manual shows 44.5 to be max but I'm getting compressed loads at 42g. This is my first batch of varget or Peterson so im hoping someone can lend some advice. The book isnt showing this to be a compressed load. I'm loading .05 off the lands and longer than that manual calls for. Getting bullet movement due to the compressed load and had to lightly crimp. Anyone else see this?

I'm shooting this same bullet/powder combo in Norma brass for my 308. Settled on a charge of 44.0gr but have to use a droptube and seat bullets slowly. I still cringe everytime I hear the powder crunch when seating bullets.

I've not used Peterson brass before. Any chance it's a bit thicker walled than other brands?

It's not unusual to have compressed loads using varget. I'd be interested in the amount of freebore your chamber is set up with. If the bullet is seated to far down in the case you'll have decreased internal case volume. Depending on your freebore you could always get a throat reamer and cut the throat out a bit so you can seat the bullet out farther to increase your case capacity.

I dont think I have a final load that doesnt crunch with Varget. It just seems to have a lot of free space between the individual sticks of powder.

I dont think I have a final load that doesnt crunch with Varget. It just seems to have a lot of free space between the individual sticks of powder.
Yeah even under 42 grains I'm getting some compression. The Peterson Brass capacity seems to be a little lower. Are you crimping on your reloads?

I use the same brass. And about the same amount of powder, what is your oal?
Are you crimping? I coated my barrel and bullets on this workup so I'm sure I'm going to move backwards before getting a my final setup. It's a short barrel Christensen so I'm not looking for screaming velocities just a good accurate load.

Yeah even under 42 grains I'm getting some compression. The Peterson Brass capacity seems to be a little lower. Are you crimping on your reloads?

I don't crimp and I'm only running .002 neck tension. I've loaded some test rounds and check the oal over several months, and they did not change, so bullet isnt being pushed out. I also pulled some that were 2 years old and there wasnt any powder clumped together. But I have no way of knowing the amount of compression I'm putting on the powder... is it 1%, 5%, 10% over filled??? I dont know.

Buy or make a drop tube to settle the powder in the cases.

A compressed load can cause the case to bulge. And needs more bullet grip to keep the bullet from creeping forward and increasing the AOL.

I'm shooting this same bullet/powder combo in Norma brass for my 308. Settled on a charge of 44.0gr but have to use a droptube and seat bullets slowly. I still cringe everytime I hear the powder crunch when seating bullets.

I've not used Peterson brass before. Any chance it's a bit thicker walled than other brands?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.