compact rifles

tony m

Gonna buy a Compact bolt action,I have been looking for a couple of weeks.I know the limitations of a short barrel, and know the advantages.What is your experience with the laminate or synthetics out there.I carry across my lap ,horseback in the mountains alot of times.It gets rough use.Beyond building something, What have you tried and liked? Thanks.

Gonna buy a Compact bolt action,I have been looking for a couple of weeks.I know the limitations of a short barrel, and know the advantages.What is your experience with the laminate or synthetics out there.I carry across my lap ,horseback in the mountains alot of times.It gets rough use.Beyond building something, What have you tried and liked? Thanks.

I love my Ruger Scout Rifle in .308 win.

Well, I hate to do this shameless plug, but why not the best of both worlds.

I have a Savage 7 WSM with an 18" McGowen barrel, AND an extra 18" 300 WSM barrel and an extra 24" 270 WSM barrel. Just pick your favorite that day. All new.

Check it out in the classifieds, if that's what you had in mind.

Larry
Tinkerer

My wife's Ruger M77 mk2 stainless Compact has always been a delight to have with me. I wanted a compact rifle but with the capabilities for longer range so I chopped the barrel on my Hawkeye SS 6.5 Creedmoor 18.6" finished length. I lost some velocity but still around 2600 fps with 140 gr bullets. I didn't loose much weight but man o man is the rifle Soooo much funner to have with me all the time now. !!!!! It is still printing sub 3/8" groups and it is heavy enough to settle in very well for a shot. I also moved the rear sling stud up to the bottom of the grip on the Boyd's Tacticool laminate stock.
I'm a big fan of laminate stocks and don't like a rifle being too light. For the kind of hunting I mostly do this is just right.

Ruger M77 MKII All-Weather (stainless/synthetic) Mountain Rifle in 7mm-08 Rem, if you can find one.

Had one since I was a kid, and it's knocked down tons of deer. Very accurate, too.

7mm-08 is a fun caliber.

I was leaning towards a 7/08 ..and the ruger compact, but I don't see the hawkeye laminate compact here in Canada.I can get the ruger american compact though (all weather synthetic ss) I have looked at the Steyr online too.We can't import firearms from USA into Canada.Glad to hear good feedback thanks.

The Weatherby Vanguard Carbine is a nice little gun, I like the stock as it fits me well and comes up nice, just tried one on for fit and liked it a lot!

I was leaning towards a 7/08 ..and the ruger compact, but I don't see the hawkeye laminate compact here in Canada.I can get the ruger american compact though (all weather synthetic ss) I have looked at the Steyr online too.We can't import firearms from USA into Canada.Glad to hear good feedback thanks.
I wouldn't buy a newer model Ruger. Anything after the M77 MKII rifles seems to be junk from my experiences. I would never own a Hawkeye either.

The rifles I'm talking about are older models. from the 90's and early 2000's. They haven't made them in years. But if you can find a used one, you should be ok.

A Steyr SBS Pro Hunter mountain rifle in 7mm-08 would be my next recommendation. Light, ****-accurate, and VERY well built.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/94782613...8-Remington-20-inch-bbl-matte-Black-Stock.htm

Or the 23.6" model...

http://www.gunsamerica.com/97053823...Remington-23-6-inch-bbl-matte-Black-Stock.htm

I've commandeered my grandson's Mossberg youth rifle. It's pretty handy and shoots plenty decent.

It's a 308 that I load a soft load with 125 Ballistic Tips. I put an inexpensive Vortex Diamondback on it and the BDC reticle is spot on @ 100, 200 and 300 yards. Don't intend on shooting any further than that.

The action is smooth and feeds well. Oh, and the fluted barrel is cool.:D

I build a scabbard that fully encloses it and it fits under the right saddle fender or hangs off the horn for ready action.:)

I've even shot it off my Donk. About all he did was take the slouch out of his back.:)

That little rig is my carry gun for riding/scouting and hunting wolves. (No luck so far).

The pack donk hauls my gear and the LR rifle for when I pick a spot to hang out and glass.

Just one old man's way of doing it....:):)

That's kinda my plan also. Long barreled lr rifle in the drag bag for when its needed and a carbine in my hands. I wish Ruger would come out with the Gunsight Scout in stainless, 18" barreled 6.5 Creedmoor.

I could not find the older Ruger m77 online, the European stuff isn't widely available either.Need to make a trip to the Big Smoke to see a few options I guess.Maybe a guy should take one out of the cabinet shorten and lighten it, or look for something that's doable.6.5creedmore would work for me too.I wonder how short is to short with the .284 win.Not many manufactures look at this need-good quality, handy, tough for a mountain rider.Cheers

another one to consider, savage makes a lightweight hunter in 7mm-08 ,6.5 creedmore & 260 it looks nice in the pictures

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.