Colorado Elk unit 86 4th Rifle Season

I was just out to Lutheran Camp. If you get lucky there is a national forest camp ground right before you get to the the 4x4 only gate up to Rainbow. Not much parking near the gate. I had my Durango an just squeezed off edge of road to park for a 3hr hike up to Balman Reservoir. I must say its steep and rough. Most of the road is now loose rock. Not sure my truck will even be up to it this fall. Same goes for Hayden pass. Campgrounds at bottom an start seeing dispersed camp sites up at 8000ft. Saw wheelers so i'm assuming Rainbow is like a highway during elk season. The burn looks green until you hike in and find rose, oak brush, raspberry, but blotched grasses here an there. Deffinitly moisture now. Snow is still melting keeping swift runoffs flowing. Crossed one on Rainbow to check out the burn.

I had high hopes of truck camp at 8000ft but might not be worth it. Probably join the masses on BLM to camp and hoof it in from there.View attachment 143623

Would BLM around Coledale still be open for truck camps?

Thanks for the info. Which hunt are you there for? Our plan is to get there 2 days before the hunt in hope to get camp set up and start scouting. Kinda think if we can get there 2 days early we can set a tent up on of those spots before the masses get there... plan is(depending on snow) to head out early opening morning in the dark and get in about 4-6 miles north of the Lutheran camp. Hoping to spend at least 1 night back there before having to come back down for a resupply. Resupply frequency really depends on snowfall too.

Sorry for late response. I'm headn out for 2nd rifle. Hoping to find a bull.... I've heard there will be a ton of people. Not sure where everybody parks. Access seems minimal around Westcliffe to the Sangres. Goodluck and do lots of squats. Find a steep mountain to run up and the hoofing should be easier then.

Sorry for late response. I'm headn out for 2nd rifle. Hoping to find a bull.... I've heard there will be a ton of people. Not sure where everybody parks. Access seems minimal around Westcliffe to the Sangres. Goodluck and do lots of squats. Find a steep mountain to run up and the hoofing should be easier then.
How did you do. Feel free to pm.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.