CO elk unit 86 3rd season help

Rifleman513

I just finished up my 2nd season hunt with no luck. One in our camp killed a nice 6x6, but we just didn't see hardly any legal bulls this year.

My wife decided this summer that she wanted to try elk hunting this year. Her work schedule limits her to only hunting the weekends and we will be on a work trip the second weekend of the season. She understands that our chances are limited only hunting two days and the unit is tough. We did a few scouting/ camping trips this summer nw of westcliffe and found bulls above treeline. I am looking for any info from those of you who have hunted around that area where would be the best place to start.

We have the area pinpointed that we want to hunt but I have never hunted anything other than 2nd season aside from a 4th season cow hunt a few years ago. I know for that area the weather is determining factor later but I don't think that have had much if any snow up high in the Sangres. Unless the weather changes drastically in the next week would you stick to the fringes of treeline or hunt a bit lower in the timber?

The area we will be concentrating on is south of the burn area. I was really expecting some weather before now to catch them coming from treeline to the valley floor. However, it appears that without a major change in the weather and some snow close to tree line may be the way to go.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.