Colorado Elk unit 86 4th Rifle Season

Discussion in 'Elk Hunting' started by txhoghunter73, Jun 6, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. txhoghunter73

txhoghunter73 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the help guys! I appreciate it! Started adding a bunch of stuff to my list of stuff to buy to get in there up high and spend a night without freezing to death. Pretty much have exhausted all the public maps. Gonna get on x and see what kind of craziness I can get into with that map.

2. slv hunter

slv hunter Well-Known Member

I use on-x. Sometimes elk move off the private to bed in the trees. They may only be 1 or 2 hundred yards away from the fence. If you can find a way around the private with the on-x it can work pretty well. Good luck and keep the wind in your face

txhoghunter73 likes this.
  3. txhoghunter73

Yessir I was thinking I may try a quick go at them this way. Especially if I can find sign or a bedding area.

slv hunter and Elkeater like this.
  4. txhoghunter73

So I have that weatherby Weathergaurd 300 win mag it’s a 1ish Moa gun out to 600 but it’s light. I also have a Remington 700 in 300 RUM that’s a .5-.75 moa gun out to 600 and much further if I do my job and call the wind correctly but it’s a heavy rifle. Probably in the neighborhood of 12.5-13 lbs. Which would y’all take? I’m not sure how far the shot opportunities will be. Although I’m sure if I was hunting at the tree line it would kind of be a indefinite number.

5. slv hunter

You'll be fine taking the 300wm. All the elk I've taken have been 500yds to 25yds. I love my 300 rum, but it stays home when I'm hunting where there is a possibility of a quick shot. Mine is 11.5 lbs and it's not easy for me to pull up and shot offhand. I take the 8lb 280ai and it's plenty to 600 or 700yds. I use a tall Harris bipod and by pack as shooting rest.
    I think 90% of the elk will be low in the 4th season. They go for the best food in each season, which is down low in November.
    If you see a bunch on private you can see who owns with on-x. Talk to them and see if they would like to hunt hogs in Texas. You never know.

6. txhoghunter73

So I been looking in ON-X. I think I found a decent honey hole around the rainbow trail/rainbow trail Lutheran camp. Elk wintering grounds with some good draws and part of the burn scar. Still wanting to go scout it before I go hunt. Does anyone know about camping around that area? If I go scout it’ll be four of us trying to pitch a tent somewhere. Don’t want to park my truck somewhere wrong or get my stuff broken in to.

7. slv hunter

I haven't spent any time in that area so can't tell you about a good place. Once your on BLM or USFS you can camp anywhere for free.

8. txhoghunter73

Ya I guess I already knew that. Sorry, I’m really tired. Going on like a hour of sleep in 2 days. More so worried about after snow starts falling and you can’t drive very far in.

9. slv hunter

There is a place called McCoy Gulch on CR 1a between hwy 50 and 69 that is blm and easy access to a plowed road. I think it's about a 20 min. drive to where your thinking of hunting. It could maybe work for ya'll. I established some rock climbing routes there.