Colorado Elk unit 86 4th Rifle Season

txhoghunter73

Did anyone else get drawn for this unit? I drew first year applying for 4th season rifle either sex. Never hunted the unit. I have been in it some though. Lots of elk down low by the private. Not so much up high. Thinking of trying to scout Hayden pass and hermit pass in August.

Did anyone else get drawn for this unit? I drew first year applying for 4th season rifle either sex. Never hunted the unit. I have been in it some though. Lots of elk down low by the private. Not so much up high. Thinking of trying to scout Hayden pass and hermit pass in August.
Drew it last year, and hunted it, and drew it again this year...Both 4th season. Was snowed out last year. All elk went low on private. Where they stayed. Saw a bunch but couldn't touch them.

I figured this would be the case. All in those low alfalfa fields?
Yep. Snow last year was knee deep and single digits at altitude with strong winds. Really had one huntable day out of five. I'm guessing elk went private during first rifle. My plan as a resident is I'm going to try and pull a leftover cow tag for first rifle. Otherwise I'm going to bring more clothes and propane than I did last year.

I talked to a guy that has hunted 86. He said the cows and young bulls leave the mountains for private land around 1st rifle. He did say that he has seen good bulls still on public even after the cows leave. I imagine it's just a steep nasty climb up those draws to get to them. I have some good gps cords for a drainage I want to scout before the season starts. Right on the edge of BLM and wilderness area west of Westcliffe. Just not real sure where to park the truck
Yep. Snow last year was knee deep and single digits at altitude with strong winds. Really had one huntable day out of five. I'm guessing elk went private during first rifle. My plan as a resident is I'm going to try and pull a leftover cow tag for first rifle. Otherwise I'm going to bring more clothes and propane than I did last year.

I talked to a guy that has hunted 86. He said the cows and young bulls leave the mountains for private land around 1st rifle. He did say that he has seen good bulls still on public even after the cows leave. I imagine it's just a steep nasty climb up those draws to get to them. I have some good gps cords for a drainage I want to scout before the season starts. Right on the edge of BLM and wilderness area west of Westcliffe. Just not real sure where to park the truck
First rifle was my third choice. Fourth rifle was my last throw away choice, and of course that's the one I drew. Park on BLM, and camp there if you can. Just need to bring everything with you. Once the gunfire starts everything goes to private. What little remains is high almost on the summits. If we get the same snow as last year a drainage might work on an elk walking over from 82. At least that's my plan. To be honest, I still haven't figured how I'm going to get one out if I get one. Otter sled maybe. Westcliffe is pretty, but it gets alot of pressure. That said if you have gps coords from a confirmed source that's worked in the past, then that's pretty much all you need. If its one of those places that's handed down from father to son, and works just about every year, I wouldn't worry about the flat land elk, and just sit those coords every day.

Basically you will not see many elk in that unit on public but..... if you bust your butt and spend the time in the furthest reaches of the nastiest places but an area that has food and water you may be able to find a lone mature bull or two recovering from the rut. 4th rifle can be tough though unless you have private access or are willing to go high with the right gear so you don't freeze to death. 86 is pretty country though. May want to check out the Hayden pass fire burn scar.

That's kind of my objective. I have a 300 Win Mag weatherby Weathergaurd that I'm gonna carry in there since it's pretty light. Not so sure about the hiking up there part of this. I am gonna be going with my grandfather in there. Planning to pull his camper to the closest place we can go to get into the sangres then. Planning to mostly hunt out of that. Depending on the weather though I might try to get way up high and hunt then spend one night before coming back down.

About 8 or 10 years ago a guy got a 421" bull on Nipple Mtn. above tree line. There are some nice bulls in 86 but hard to get to and get out. The area is getting a lot of moisture this year so the burn scar should be nice and green.

You guys are getting me motivated. I'm heading to Grand Mesa area for 3rd rifle...my first time going after Elk.

Just hunt hard. My average day of elk hunting is about 10-12 miles. Use your glass. I practically live with with a pair of binos strapped to my chest during elk season. I've killed quite a few elk and I average about 3 days of hunting per elk killed. Moral of the story is put on the miles in tough elk country and you stand a decent chance of killing one. Driving around complaining about the lack of elk does not produce results typically:

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts