Colorado 2nd Rifle Season Elk GMU 82/86

berdanscout

Good Afternoon folks.... 5 min ago I had a gloriously written post with intelligent prose, perfect grammar, intelligent questions/comments, and witty humor. My introduction was such that you would immediatly wish to know me and invite me out on a free guided hunt. Once I hit "submit" however, I found that I'd spent so long typing that I was logged out. I lost everything....The only thing worse would be missing out on the opportunity to buy a NIB Night Force Scope for $50.......or a free 1/4" MOA rifle by being the 100th caller and your cell phone dies as you are providing your contact information......

So, once more....

BLUF (Bottom line Up front): {my heart and sole was crushed due to my previous literary masterpiece being lost, so forgive me for one line questions/sentences and such a dramatic "1st" post}

1) 2nd Rifle Season Elk hunt antlered OCT 19-27
2) Colorado GMU 82/86 (Rio Grande and San Isabel National Forests)
3) Game Wardens Called for GMU 82 and 86. No contact yet with Warden from GMU 86.
4) Requesting assistance from members on this site who are familiar with this area.
5) Proof of due diligence: over 25 sites highlighted/selected. Imagery and topo reviewed on Colorado Big Game Hunting Atlas. (Ill send a pic of my notes/colorado atlas if you want it.)
6) I'm not trolling for secret spots...Or being lazy and looking for easy answers. Just trying to find information on what areas are inundated with people come hunting season. I can at least cross some spots off with this information when I start scouting.

Questions:

-Where do people NOT go in GMU's 82/86?
-What areas are foot traffic only? IE: no people on horses or ATVs
-What are the weather conditions during OCT?
-Are streams dry/frozen/ during OCT?
-Are lakes frozen during OCT?
-What areas are mostly visited by outfitters/guided hunt organizatitons?
-What areas are heavily hunted?
-What is the movement pattern of elk during this time of year?
-Can you drive to the top of Methodist Mtn (south of Salida,CO)? Is this rd accessable in OCT?

Thank you in advance ladies and gentlemen. Again, I'm not trying to troll for secret spots or claim jump. Just looking for intelligence on existing Human/Animal patterns of life for these areas.

regards

Questions:

-Can you drive to the top of Methodist Mtn (south of Salida,CO)? Is this rd accessable in OCT?

Unfortunately I cannot help you with any information on these units as I have never hunted them. However, I figured I would chime in with a few answers to some of your questions:

1) Weather conditions: October in the Colorado high country can be anything from 60 degrees and sunny to negative temps and snowing sideways. To top it off, this can change in a matter of minutes. I have been out hunting in a tee shirt when a storm comes in and the next thing you know we have a foot of snow. The best thing I can tell you to do is prepare for it all. Have a lot of options and try to layer your clothing so you can add and remove as the day goes on.

2) Are streams dry/frozen: typically not. Although it can get cold, it is typically only for a few days at a time, so as long as the water is running through the streams, they shouldn't be frozen.

3) Are lakes frozen: typically not, but there could be a small sheet of ice if it gets really cold for a couple of days. This really just depends on the size of the body of water too. The larger the body of water, the less chance that it's frozen over.

I will also throw out there that the areas that are most heavily hunted, regardless of which unit you are in, are going to be within one mile of a road. As soon as you get off the road more than that, you will find far less hunters and increase your chances at seeing elk. Elk are not stupid animals and they also realize that hunters will remain close to the major roads.

Hope some of this helps out a little bit. Good luck!

Good Afternoon folks.... 5 min ago I had a gloriously written post with intelligent prose, perfect grammar, intelligent questions/comments, and witty humor. My introduction was such that you would immediatly wish to know me and invite me out on a free guided hunt. Once I hit "submit" however, I found that I'd spent so long typing that I was logged out. I lost everything....The only thing worse would be missing out on the opportunity to buy a NIB Night Force Scope for $50.......or a free 1/4" MOA rifle by being the 100th caller and your cell phone dies as you are providing your contact information......

So, once more....

BLUF (Bottom line Up front): {my heart and sole was crushed due to my previous literary masterpiece being lost, so forgive me for one line questions/sentences and such a dramatic "1st" post}

1) 2nd Rifle Season Elk hunt antlered OCT 19-27
2) Colorado GMU 82/86 (Rio Grande and San Isabel National Forests)
3) Game Wardens Called for GMU 82 and 86. No contact yet with Warden from GMU 86.
4) Requesting assistance from members on this site who are familiar with this area.
5) Proof of due diligence: over 25 sites highlighted/selected. Imagery and topo reviewed on Colorado Big Game Hunting Atlas. (Ill send a pic of my notes/colorado atlas if you want it.)
6) I'm not trolling for secret spots...Or being lazy and looking for easy answers. Just trying to find information on what areas are inundated with people come hunting season. I can at least cross some spots off with this information when I start scouting.

Questions:

Thank you in advance ladies and gentlemen. Again, I'm not trying to troll for secret spots or claim jump. Just looking for intelligence on existing Human/Animal patterns of life for these areas.

regards

Most of the public hunting in unit 86/82 is made up of the Sangre De Cristo Wilderness

Sangre De Cristo Wilderness Area

I should mention that Sangre De Cristo wilderness is just few acres larger than Rocky Mtn National Park.

I'm pretty much wondering the same things aswell, first time doing this and I'm looking at Unit 24 for the 2nd season.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.