Cold shots observation

The rifles I've taken the time to do the shoot clean break-in all seem to shoot the first cold bore shot in the same group as the following shots whether the bore was clean or fouled.Does break-in work?Hard to prove,but the first cold bore shot is something I have observed on the rifles I did break-in.

The rifles I've taken the time to do the shoot clean break-in all seem to shoot the first cold bore shot in the same group as the following shots whether the bore was clean or fouled.Does break-in work?Hard to prove,but the first cold bore shot is something I have observed on the rifles I did break-in.
I wish I knew if break in worked or not. Haven't had the stones not to go thru the motions possibly leaving a barrel less than it is when I do break them in.

So back before I knew break in was a thing I have several rifles that never went through that process. 1 is a model 700 bdl in 3006 I got 40 years ago. About 10 years ago I decided to use it for long range hunting for wolves. Prior that I'd only zeroed and 100. It shot great. So I set up the rifle with a 300 yard group and zero, and it shot 1.5" groups. I shot 500 and got 2.5" groups.

Now today, I do break in my barrels but a properly hand lapped custom barrel sure doesn't take much to break in and copper fouling is extremely light. The main issue is getting the barrel seasoned and settling in for the velocity.