CO First Elk Only Season report

jackem

The season ended yesterday and temps were near 80 each of the five days even at 6-7000 feet.

Early the second morning we hiked in about a mile and a half, got set up on some rim rock over a drainage. My son spotted a cow not long afterwards, and since he had a bull tag we decided to wait and see if one appeared, but it was just a cow and calf.

The G7 ranged them at 397 consistently even though they were in thick brush and we were looking into the rising sun. With only a 5 mph breeze coming in almost in line with the shot wind was not a factor. I decided to take the calf instead of the cow mainly because of the difficult pack out but also because of people telling me how great the meat is, even the game warden that checked us on the way said so.
Dialed up 5.5 MOA on the NF, sent a 300 grain Berger, and had the calf back in the scope in time to see the bullet hit behind the shoulder. Both lungs and heart were perforated for an instant kill. The only bad part was the mom, we practically had to chase her away from her calf...((
We immediately quartered and deboned the little bull and started for the truck. By 2PM we off the mountain and at the processors. The next day we helped some other hunters get a 6 point off the mountain but I doubt it was fast enough to save the meat.

This year it might be better to bring extra ice, sunscreen, and leave the insulated underwear at home...))

The pic below isn't the actual hole where I filled my tag but it's the same type of country.

Jack

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 131
The season ended yesterday and temps were near 80 each of the five days even at 6-7000 feet.

Early the second morning we hiked in about a mile and a half, got set up on some rim rock over a drainage. My son spotted a cow not long afterwards, and since he had a bull tag we decided to wait and see if one appeared, but it was just a cow and calf.

The G7 ranged them at 397 consistently even though they were in thick brush and we were looking into the rising sun. With only a 5 mph breeze coming in almost in line with the shot wind was not a factor. I decided to take the calf instead of the cow mainly because of the difficult pack out but also because of people telling me how great the meat is, even the game warden that checked us on the way said so.
Dialed up 5.5 MOA on the NF, sent a 300 grain Berger, and had the calf back in the scope in time to see the bullet hit behind the shoulder. Both lungs and heart were perforated for an instant kill. The only bad part was the mom, we practically had to chase her away from her calf...((
We immediately quartered and deboned the little bull and started for the truck. By 2PM we off the mountain and at the processors. The next day we helped some other hunters get a 6 point off the mountain but I doubt it was fast enough to save the meat.

This year it might be better to bring extra ice, sunscreen, and leave the insulated underwear at home...))

The pic below isn't the actual hole where I filled my tag but it's the same type of country.

Jack

About the time I posted the weather forecast above it changed, rain and cooler temps are on the way.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.