CO 2nd Season Elk Nuttiness

• Thread starter Deleted member 107796
  • Start date
Had a friend who had 120 square miles of property that we used to hunt. Five doctors from Florida bought it for 2.5 million so they would have a place to hunt for a couple of weeks a year. Local Montanans don't comprehend having that kind of money. Times change and like I said money talks. Then you have the rich people buying up ranches. I can't blame them. I would do the same if I had the money
A large ranch sold for $32.50 per acre? If its good hunting ground with even halfway decent road and air access to it wouldn't people buy large tracks for themselves? Just about everyone I know could scrape together enough to buy a couple square miles at those prices. Heck a new truck runs at least $60k anymore.

Just returned from my first 2nd season elk hunt in NW CO in a long time. It was a complete waste of time as it was inundated with hunters from all over, much like our entire state over the last 2-3 years. As ridiculous as it is, it is easily fixed by issuing less tags. If you feel similarly, let CP&W know. cheers
SW Colorado is currently experiencing the end of any sustainable elk herds. According the the local CPW people, out of 100 cows, only 10 get bred, out of those 7 have calves, out of those 3 survive the 1st year. Why? the rut is being so interupted by people in the woods at that time. The animals are doing more running away from people than mating. At the same time they are selling OTC tags to anyone with the money. There are other factors in play, but the worst of the situation comes down to CPW selling out the elk for the dollars. And in the end it circles backto the politicians not wanting to give any tax money to CPW, they'd rather give it to drug programs, and providing heshe bathrooms. This is not only a SW Colorado issue, my buddies that hunt south of Wyoming had fresh snow the 1st night of 2nd season. It took them 5 days to find a single elk track. his is going to be a real tough deal to try and get turned around.

SW Colorado is currently experiencing the end of any sustainable elk herds. According the the local CPW people, out of 100 cows, only 10 get bred, out of those 7 have calves, out of those 3 survive the 1st year. Why? the rut is being so interupted by people in the woods at that time. The animals are doing more running away from people than mating. At the same time they are selling OTC tags to anyone with the money. There are other factors in play, but the worst of the situation comes down to CPW selling out the elk for the dollars. And in the end it circles backto the politicians not wanting to give any tax money to CPW, they'd rather give it to drug programs, and providing heshe bathrooms. This is not only a SW Colorado issue, my buddies that hunt south of Wyoming had fresh snow the 1st night of 2nd season. It took them 5 days to find a single elk track. his is going to be a real tough deal to try and get turned around.
Similar but different situation in Utah. Utah DNR is "self funding" so the bureaucrats are looking for each and every dollar they can extract for themselves... nuff said.

Live & hunt SW Colorado . One of my favorite elk spots ( last 30 yrs. ) where you never saw any one is now over run with hunters. Elk sign there virtually non existent. I don't see any other way for the elk to recoup than to limit tags. Maybe shut the season down for a year or two. Over the counter tags are decimating the elk herds. Even drawing hunts have way to many hunters in the field at one time. Can't be that far off where OTC tags will no longer be available. Wildlife cannot withstand this destructive on- slot of hunters. There are only so many animals available to maintain a healthy herd. More people moving here & large tracts of extremely important winter graze land being built on. Ignorant people allowing their digs to run free & harass game. It goes on & on.

Once again, I am hoping everyone shares their thoughts with CP&W. The idea that reducing quotas alone works well in improving the hunt, was proven by my 4th season hunt NW of Meeker. There was sufficient land to bust out and find your own honey hole which was tough to do during 2nd.
As a note to those familiar with this area in unit 11/211, the fires from a few years ago did a number throughout the valley floor, probably 150 sq miles, not totally, but in spots here and there. It was unheard of to not see deer and some elk come out just before complete dark until now. The area needs some healing time.

I know there are no easy answers to this problem, but personally, I'd be fine with no season at all for 2-3 years. It's either give up something for a while, or give it up for a lot longer. I've tried to talk to CPW at their meetings they have around the state, it's really a hard thing to do. You have to be on their agenda, tell them what you want to talk about, and then you have 5 minutes. I don't think they want to hear it. Their own field people supply them the data from tagging, tracking, collars. They don't face the facts on that. I think maybe the governor or Senators ????????

WHERE HAS THE GAME GONE. Road hunting is out of control in the country where I live and they wonder why they can't fill their tag. I'm not the kind of person that goes around judging people but it seems like the hunters today disrespect, unethical and down right B.S. The road hunters are making it harder and harder to fill that tag. It is illegal to road hunt in Ca. and/or carry a loaded weapon on a ATV. What really bothers me is the guy that wants to get out of the truck strap a pack on and fill his tag. His percentage is very small. So the Seniors that hunt this country has little chance to enjoy and fill their freezer with some much needed meat. I hope that my post will offend the road hunters and put a stop to it.

I live and hunt in Colorado, and the amount of game I see combined with the overcrowding of hunters is a joke. Way too many OTC tags being sold and way too many tags being sold through the draw. The state is profiting like a mofo but as far as the hunting experience goes, it sucks! I was so excited to move here and hunt here and it's been the biggest let down.

WHERE HAS THE GAME GONE. Road hunting is out of control in the country where I live and they wonder why they can't fill their tag. I'm not the kind of person that goes around judging people but it seems like the hunters today disrespect, unethical and down right B.S. The road hunters are making it harder and harder to fill that tag. It is illegal to road hunt in Ca. and/or carry a loaded weapon on a ATV. What really bothers me is the guy that wants to get out of the truck strap a pack on and fill his tag. His percentage is very small. So the Seniors that hunt this country has little chance to enjoy and fill their freezer with some much needed meat. I hope that my post will offend the road hunters and put a stop to it.

it's not just road hunters, there's no shortage of guys willing to backpack in even further than they could successfully extract the meat too. It's just too many hunters....period.

Sorry if I offend, but I hate illegal ATV and sidexside hunters. Many of the areas I hunt in my home state of Idaho are non-motorized areas where the use of such vehicles is prohibited on trails for hunting. It's stated right in the regs for each area and there are two pages that clearly define the rules. Yet after Ive been hiking for two hours in the early morning dark with my 70+ year old dad, wife, and 9 year old son to get to the ridgetop by sunrise, it never fails that there will be multiple ATVs with lazy $#@!? hunters that illegally fly up the trails right as the sun is coming up, scream right past where we are set up and spook any game that might have been close. I'm so tired of it. I've vowed to take pics and turn all of them in that I see.
I've stopped several of these illegal hunters. All of them claim ignorance and try to play dumb and that they didn't know. But its clearly stated right next to the hunt in the regulations.
There are many other units where ATV use on trails is legal, so go to those ones and hunt. I hunted one of those areas and I had no problem with the ATVs that passed me because it was legal to do so.

it's not just road hunters, there's no shortage of guys willing to backpack in even further than they could successfully extract the meat too. It's just too many hunters....period.
I lived in Maybell in the 90's you mean to tell me all the Elk and Deer are gone? When we would gather in the fall you could get ran over if you weren't careful Douglas Mountain Area

I didn't say they were gone, I said that the pressure isn't just from the roads, it's in the back country too.

I lived in Maybell in the 90's you mean to tell me all the Elk and Deer are gone? When we would gather in the fall you could get ran over if you weren't careful Douglas Mountain Area
Sorry if I offend, but I hate illegal ATV and sidexside hunters. Many of the areas I hunt in my home state of Idaho are non-motorized areas where the use of such vehicles is prohibited on trails for hunting. It's stated right in the regs for each area and there are two pages that clearly define the rules. Yet after Ive been hiking for two hours in the early morning dark with my 70+ year old dad, wife, and 9 year old son to get to the ridgetop by sunrise, it never fails that there will be multiple ATVs with lazy $#@!? hunters that illegally fly up the trails right as the sun is coming up, scream right past where we are set up and spook any game that might have been close. I'm so tired of it. I've vowed to take pics and turn all of them in that I see.
I've stopped several of these illegal hunters. All of them claim ignorance and try to play dumb and that they didn't know. But its clearly stated right next to the hunt in the regulations.
There are many other units where ATV use on trails is legal, so go to those ones and hunt. I hunted one of those areas and I had no problem with the ATVs that passed me because it was legal to do so.[/QUOTE YA beautiful country up there and you didn't offend me

WHERE HAS THE GAME GONE. Road hunting is out of control in the country where I live and they wonder why they can't fill their tag. I'm not the kind of person that goes around judging people but it seems like the hunters today disrespect, unethical and down right B.S. The road hunters are making it harder and harder to fill that tag.
Where I have been hunting in Colorado the "roads" are full of guys driving around all day. Funny thing is that I have spoken with several of the same guys for a few years in a row that seem to be fairly successful, especially on deer. They do not bother me, I like getting as far from that as possible. I would rather them stay on the road and away from me...I still see plenty of hunters on out though.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.