CO 2nd Season Elk Nuttiness

• Thread starter Deleted member 107796
  • Start date
Obviously you didn't read it thoroughly.....cows grazing on "wacky weed"........since no one else could access the properties the guys with cattle were growing crops.....
And that is how 5 guys became millionaires in a couple years.............

Money talks. Most states need to severely limit out of state hunters. Too many people with lots of money. Watch some of the hunting shows on TV. Most are a joke. In fact, most are embarrassing to real hunters.

I agree 100%, sorry to everyone that is offended by that. I know I stated earlier I'm looking to hunt out of state but I wouldn't if there weren't so many here in my own state
Why would they limit out of state hunters? I pay 12x what a resident of Colorado does for the same tag, only to have the next guy a week later pay another 12x to hunt the same animals. If you don't think I have the right to go hunt federal land then you are just SOL. I only need two peoples approval to hunt where I want, my wife and Uncle Sam. Both of which seem to fight me on this issue. So you don't like that I'm on "Your" land, I'm sure all the jihadist/terrorist/insurgents I've encountered felt the same way.:eek::D (and no I'm not calling you a terrorist)
That wasn't directed just at the two fellas I quoted, but to all that concur with them. There are people all over that feel it a blessing to be able to just occasionally (maybe once a lifetime) visit the places you call home. Stop being a bunch of greedy baxsters and be grateful you get to enjoy it way more than I.

Bravo 4 said "Why would they limit out of state hunters? I pay 12x what a resident of Colorado does for the same tag, only to have the next guy a week later pay another 12x to hunt the same animals. If you don't think I have the right to go hunt federal land then you are just SOL."

I agree wholeheartedly.....and the entire subject has been under scrutiny since states started regulating the non res tag numbers and jumping the prices up astronomically.....
If you can't handle competition why be there....its no different than the 20 years I spent guiding people for winter steelhead....i started when there were 6 guide boats of 100 boats on the small river....quit guiding when it was 99 guide boats of 100 boats.....only 3 or 4 of fhose boats bring money into the area...the rest traveling to and fro other cities...
Doing nothing but causing a pain and strain....they didn't help catch brood stock...they didnt pay bills for locals that wanted huge sums of monies for access to the river.....motels lost money..restaurants lost money....
If you want fo limit hunters...lets limit non resident fishermen too......
Draw points for being able fo float down a river in a guide boat.....
I really like that idea....
But here one we really need to address....
The use of blm and fs lands for bicyclist..atv..crosscouentry skiers..and no more downhill skiers.........think of how many of them oare non residents....using OUR (local) wilderness areas......
:mad::confused:.........:D

I seen more hunters than deer this year on my hunt. I applied for 3 years to draw a high country WILDERNESS tag and all I seen was people! I thought if I went for this wilderness hunt I'd get away from people, nope even 6 miles in I saw 16 hunters in about a 5 square mile area. Pretty disappointing. Seems like anymore there are way to many people hunting, wether road hunters or not there are too many in my opinion. 2nd rifle here this year is pretty dead so most of the hunters have already left thankfully. It's a hard thought but less tags means less people yes and I'd be ok with that if it meant I could go somewhere and not see orange. I really feel the CPW management sucks here in Colorado! Too bad it won't change because like mentioned above there is a lot of money coming in the way things are. I'm looking to start hunting out of this state a little more, yes may cost more but if I can get away from the crowds it's worth it to me
Won't you then be as those you despise?

Won't you then be as those you despise?
The issue is with the CPW management. Most of the guys I saw were archery elk hunters. Maybe in a limited draw hunt the season should be on it's own. Guess Colorado could be like Wyoming and close the wilderness to non residents without a guide/resident. My problem isn't with people, most all hunters are good guys, some are idiots yes but they mainly stick to the roads. I wouldn't mind getting in line for a limited draw hunt if it meant it was LIMITED! Make it enjoyable. If you like seeing more people than game we have a different opinion of hunting. Hunting to me is spending time hunting, gassing, finding what I'm after and moving in for a shot. Not sitting on a ridge with orange dots scattered all over waiting for a stampede and shooting at wound up crazy running animals. Sounds pretty unfair to the game as well. Dont they deserve some respect?? Rather than just dollar signs on thier heads??

In Wyoming and Montana if a road goes over private land the land owner has the right to control the road and in many places there is public land in side private with no road. We need to some how get it changed were all public land is accessible but were the land owners land is protected as well. The other bad thing is non hunters use public land and trash it, land owners don't want this (bad hunters do this to), and hunters are the ones that get all the blame for every thing bad that happens.

Interesting comment.
10-12 years ago my hunting buddy and I started in a new area. It takes 1-1/2 hrs from the nearest town (1-1/4 hrs all twisty dirt shelf type roads) which is the size of a large yard. It's 2-1/2+ hrs form the smallest of grocery stores and we were virtually at the end of the road. Needless to say it is somewhat remote, yet the road is in good shape so getting trailers in/out is easy depending on the snow.
When we first started we would see maybe 1 hunter/vehicle a day that far back, sometimes we wouldn't see anyone for a few days. In the last few years there have been one to two dozen vehicles per day. Most just road hunters. We'd see them drive toward the end of the road then 10 minutes later they would come back by heading out, some like they are trying to outrun a forest fire. At the end of the road we would be the only ones out in foot now there will be 4 or 5 trucks and people all over. The elk situation has dropped DRAMATICALLY in the last few years as well. We have had severe beetle kill so I don't know if the elk have dropped because of the dead trees or all the traffic and not sure if the extra traffic was because there wasn't near as much sign in other areas around us and people were searching......Either way there have been FAR FAR fewer elk than in the past...not sure I believe the statistics saying we have some of the highest elk population in a long time.....

Darrell

The issue is with the CPW management. Most of the guys I saw were archery elk hunters. Maybe in a limited draw hunt the season should be on it's own. Guess Colorado could be like Wyoming and close the wilderness to non residents without a guide/resident. My problem isn't with people, most all hunters are good guys, some are idiots yes but they mainly stick to the roads. I wouldn't mind getting in line for a limited draw hunt if it meant it was LIMITED! Make it enjoyable. If you like seeing more people than game we have a different opinion of hunting. Hunting to me is spending time hunting, gassing, finding what I'm after and moving in for a shot. Not sitting on a ridge with orange dots scattered all over waiting for a stampede and shooting at wound up crazy running animals. Sounds pretty unfair to the game as well. Dont they deserve some respect?? Rather than just dollar signs on thier heads??
I do agree that I would rather wait a year or two (or whatever as long as it's reasonable) to get to hunt a place less likely to see a dozen guys a day and maybe one elk a year.
The "problem" isn't just in western states, I have more problems with residents in my home state come deer season. Everybody and their grandmother (no joke) that has a rifle/shotgun is in the woods opening morning of deer season. Most often if I have to hunt public lands on that day I will stay home. Or try getting into a deer camp with a deer stand every few hundred yards down a power line cut through...and now that's "their spot" even if they never sit in it. Either way it isn't conducive to "hunting" and is down right dangerous.
Where I'm from duck hunting is really where the money goes. Guess we all have our little problems.

Just dawned on me....a comparison of whom could be funding the Wolf project.....
If you remember the spotted owl...that got most of rhe Pacific Coast logging shutdown....when the blm and fs shutdown to logging whom become the primary suppliers of timber.....private timber companies....and it was proven that some of those companies paid monies to Sierra club..whom in this case fought to have the blm and fs land closed to logging.....
Seems to me this could just as easily be exploited again.....in the video it is shown that not only numbers of cattle in wolf country are lower due to death and abortion of calves..but that the weight of those remaining could be significantly less meaning less monies for the ranchers.........whom could shed light on this idea.....that big ranchers in places with no wolves could be funding the Wolf project to make their own herds more valuable.......
It happens in other areas of capitalism...why not here........

Let's make a coin, on one side we will draw a tear and inscribe "people today should spend more time hunting and less sitting on the couch".
On the other we will again draw a tear, then inscribe "there's too many hunters it's too hard"
A little cynical humor...I like it!

Attachments

• 59542A9B-0B0D-446F-B972-E45D1F6F1776.gif
    59542A9B-0B0D-446F-B972-E45D1F6F1776.gif
    3.6 MB · Views: 113
How about a federal hunting license and tags that allows anyone possessing such to hunt any state, on National Forest land, blm land, ie any public access land. States could issue license for their properties and to cover private land owner properties for game management purposes and harvest limits. That way we could hunt whatever public land that had an open season.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.