CM vs PRC

6.5 Creedmoor brass and ammo is a lot easier and cheaper to obtain, now and into the foreseeable future. Some would say, don't go PRC if you don't have enough brass for the barrels life.

They're both great cartridges. And have shot both quite a bit. It's as simple as staying within limitations of said cartridges. If you want to hunt out past 500 go prc. Inside of that the creed will get it done. I just rebarreled a creed to 18.5" and am shooting the 130 vld hunting's at easily over 2800fps and weights 8.5lbs with a 6-24 scope mounted. Pretty handy little rifle! But if I want to be able to hunt out past 4-500 yards I'm definitely taking a larger cartridge View attachment 271494View attachment 271495
Well said

Given the market right now and your goal of shooting to 600, I see no reason to go PRC. Get the creedmoor and enjoy cheaper factory ammo, more component availability, low recoil, and not trying to find H1000 or RL-26.

I like mine, but I feel guilty shooting it sometimes because I wonder if I'll be able to replace the H1000. Ended up buying a second practice barrel in 7mm08 and just screwing the PRC barrel on for hunting season.

Given the market right now and your goal of shooting to 600, I see no reason to go PRC. Get the creedmoor and enjoy cheaper factory ammo, more component availability, low recoil, and not trying to find H1000 or RL-26.

I like mine, but I feel guilty shooting it sometimes because I wonder if I'll be able to replace the H1000. Ended up buying a second practice barrel in 7mm08 and just screwing the PRC barrel on for hunting season.
The prc is so close to the 6.5-284, you dont need ultra slow powders. Try h4831. Of course that is hard to find also!

If 600 yard accuracy at the range is a goal and you already have a 6.5x284, maybe try a 6BR. Easy to find excellent brass for (lapua). Tons of load data for it. Great cartridge for 600 yard target, prairie dogs, yotes, etc. No man bun required, but a range jacket covered with sponsorship patches is always nice.
Barrelnut, it's like you can see into my soul...or my safe. I have a heavy format 6BR and really like it so agree with your recommendation.
Cheers

Seems to me that PRC is becoming the 6.5 du jour of late, edging out CM in number of posts. I get the extra speed/energy of the PRC, but is there any appreciable difference in inherent/average accuracy in the PRC over the CM? Or the other way around?
If this subject is covered well in another thread, happy to just be pointed there.
Cheers
I have both. My custom PRC built on a medium action excels in every way over the CM in every thing but recoil and is light. I push a Berger 156 EOL at 3100 - 3200 fps. It surpasses my 300 WM in ft/lbs of energy at 700 yds. If you build it on a SA you will never maximize the efficiency of the cartridge.
For the poster who stated you can't get supplies wouldn't want to see my stash. I actually shoot & buy extra barrels for my builds.
The only reason I keep a CM is it's in a AR-10.

I have both. My custom PRC built on a medium action excels in every way over the CM in every thing but recoil and is light. I push a Berger 156 EOL at 3100 - 3200 fps. It surpasses my 300 WM in ft/lbs of energy at 700 yds. If you build it on a SA you will never maximize the efficiency of the cartridge.
For the poster who stated you can't get supplies wouldn't want to see my stash. I actually shoot & buy extra barrels for my builds.
The only reason I keep a CM is it's in a AR-10.
That's the way to do it! I built a 6.5sherman short on a short action and I push the 156 a little slower but I'm not standing on it because it shoots so well. You are spot on with everything. I will take your tid bit about extra barrels for builds and caliber you like. Thanks for the inadvertent advice.

I decided to go with the PRC for more velocity, energy, and distance. I get average velocities of 3269 fps w/o supressor, and 3288 fps w/ supressor @ 50 degrees F. 820' elevation.
31" Bartlien 8.5 - 7.5 gain twist 5R LH barrel.
ADG brass, 215 GM primers, 64.0 grains N570
156 grain Berger EOL's. 3.082" COAL / 2.4" CBTO .010" jump.
Velocities measured with Magnetospeed V3 on a forearm mount, on Desert Tech SRS-A1

I decided to go with the PRC for more velocity, energy, and distance. I get average velocities of 3269 fps w/o supressor, and 3288 fps w/ supressor @ 50 degrees F. 820' elevation.
31" Bartlien 8.5 - 7.5 gain twist 5R LH barrel.
ADG brass, 215 GM primers, 64.0 grains N570
156 grain Berger EOL's. 3.082" COAL / 2.4" CBTO .010" jump.
Velocities measured with Magnetospeed V3 on a forearm mount, on Desert Tech SRS-A1
It's impressive! Gotta be rough on the barrel though!