Cleaning sizing dies

There is definitely a difference in machined quality on dies. When I get a new die set the first thing I do is disassemble and polish the insides. First I use a fine Cratex if necessary and then Jewelers Rouge on a cotton buffing mandrel in a Dremel tool. I had noticed scratches on newly cleaned brass so came up with a way of polishing out the insides of the dies.
As far as cleaning them, I think that whatever method out of all the above suggestions above, you can't go wrong. Myself with the polished dies, a couple squirts of solvent, brake cleaner, whatever and a quick wipe out works great on a dissembled die. Make sure if you use brake cleaner to wipe them out before it dries.

99% Isopropyl Alcohol.

Highly underrated solvent. I love brake and carb cleaner as much as the next guy, but not in the house!

Warning to all out there that seldom or never clean their dies but are reading this and thinking oh better clean them now. It's the quickest way to stick a case if you don't get the die and brass lubed back up properly after you clean.
Hornady at one time made a die cleaner basically was One Shot cleaner in a white can called Tool and Die cleaner.

Seems to me that if you want them really clean that a dilute Citrinox solution in an ultrasonic cleaner would be the best option.
EDIT: link embedded

I use brake cleaner on a lot of things, but I never, ever use it on something to be welded w/o letting that part or parts sit for hours before welding.

IPA is a good solvent, but it has a narrow application range. Some stuff it just takes too much of it to reduce and other cleaners do a better job with less volume.

Venatic, my first post was sarcasm. I should have put the <sarcasm>....</sarcasm> brackets on it. Fixed.

Last edited:
Warning to all out there that seldom or never clean their dies but are reading this and thinking oh better clean them now. It's the quickest way to stick a case if you don't get the die and brass lubed back up properly after you clean.
Hornady at one time made a die cleaner basically was One Shot cleaner in a white can called Tool and Die cleaner.
Good point. After the alcohol swab I gave them an imperial swab.

I clean my dies after EVERY USE.
My buddies think I am anal, but I have never had a stuck case and ALL of my dies look like new.
My buddies dies are all gunked up, rusty and full of carbon and soot. They never clean their dies and wonder why they have problems.
I use brake cleaner, sewing machine oil and very hot water to clean them.......even used the dishwasher when the missus isn't home!
Haha.

Cheers.
I thought I might be the only one...lol....dishwasher...whether she is home or not.. and light spray of WD 40 liquid spray.

I like to use Butch's bore shine on a chamber cleaning brush. I follow up with cotton patches wrapped around different sized nylon brushes. One brush that fits the body and one that fits the neck. I usually twist a patch in to clean the threads too. Several times I've had people bring me nasty dies to work up a few loads for them. In that case I use a piece of 0000 steel wool in one of those cheap slotted patch holders screwed into a cut off section of a cheap cleaning rod chucked into a drill. Depends on how bad things are as to what I soak the steel wool in.

If you are going to clean reddings and use a vinegar solution, take the tops off if you don't want the black to turn grey. Ask me how I know...

I try not to get crap in my dies to start with. That said, I do shoot pistols with cast bullets and sometimes get lube buildup in the seating die. That is easily removed with a simple takedown, a jeweler's driver, and some action cleaner or brake cleaner. In the unlikely event I need to clean a rifle die, it usually gets a trip to the garage and a hit with brake cleaner or gas. Venatic is correct that a "dry" freshly cleaned die will try to stick a case if you don't really wet the first case or pre wet the die.; Dang near stuck a couple that way.

I clean with a naptha based cleaner out of a spray bottle, then blow out with air, lightly lube and reassemble. I had a die that was leaving scratches in the case necks. I used a tapered dowel wrapped in 1500 grit paper to take out a very small burr. cleaned, reassembled and cured the problem

ultrasonic cleaner with jewelry cleaner works well for me and is about as simple as it gets. Just make sure to dry them and put a little lube on the dues afterward.

Seems to me that if you want them really clean that a dilute Citrinox solution in an ultrasonic cleaner would be the best option.
EDIT: link embedded

I use brake cleaner on a lot of things, but I never, ever use it on something to be welded w/o letting that part or parts sit for hours before welding.

IPA is a good solvent, but it has a narrow application range. Some stuff it just takes too much of it to reduce and other cleaners do a better job with less volume.

Venatic, my first post was sarcasm. I should have put the <sarcasm>....</sarcasm> brackets on it. Fixed.

{sarcasm} I love a good IPA too but not as a cleaner. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.