Cleaning sizing dies

step 1. spray an unreasonable amount of hornady one-shot into the die.
step 2. wipe the one-shot that made its way into my eyes, out.
step 3. use the technical tools of a q-tip and cleaning swab to wipe it out and set upright to dry.

I have used #9 solvent but you have to wipe them out well and dry them before reasembly. It is much better to have clean dies if you want perfect bullets!
Allso
step 1. spray an unreasonable amount of hornady one-shot into the die.
step 2. wipe the one-shot that made its way into my eyes, out.
step 3. use the technical tools of a q-tip and cleaning swab to wipe it out and set upright to dry.
Yea, Right! I don't use sprays muck. They usualy spray more things that you want to. It is also mastfull and may get on your clothes, hands and as you say in your eyes. Of course I swab the dies out with a high Tec tool, Q Tips! Then a large patch and whatever I can push it into the die with. End of Story!!!

I use a patch on a short rod and some charcoal starter or hexane to clean it out after every use. Usually get some brass shavings. Repeat as needed and wipe with a dry patch.

I saw too many firearms from people who bought into WD-40's "CLP" advertising to consider it for much of anything besides being a decent though not great cutting fluid for aluminum.
If you've ever had to completely disassemble, clean, and then reassemble a Nylon 66 that was lubed with WD-40 for a couple centuries, not to mention numerous other firearms you'd understand my dislike of the stuff.

Alcohol or finger nail polish and Q-Tips is what I use. I like to take the dies apart and remove the bushing since a lot of junk accumulates under the bushing...I mostly use bushing dies.

I have used brake cleaner, IPA, and bore cleaner with patches and 0000 steel wool all with good results. Best cleaner so far is ultrasonic with a mix of citric acid and Dawn dish soap. I add a dash of salt when cleaning range brass. When using the ultrasonic method it is imperative that the die be lubed generously immediately after drying. After a short soak wipe off the excess and go.

I have used brake cleaner, IPA, and bore cleaner with patches and 0000 steel wool all with good results. Best cleaner so far is ultrasonic with a mix of citric acid and Dawn dish soap. I add a dash of salt when cleaning range brass. When using the ultrasonic method it is imperative that the die be lubed generously immediately after drying. After a short soak wipe off the excess and go.
I have seen IPA referenced several times and all I can think of is IPA beer, i would never waste a beer on a die! What is your IPA stand for?

I have seen IPA referenced several times and all I can think of is IPA beer, i would never waste a beer on a die! What is your IPA stand for?
I was thinking cheap vodka would do better, but I don't really do IPA's either... A good bourbon barrel stout or ten year old Talisker on a couple icebergs suites me just fine...

I have seen IPA referenced several times and all I can think of is IPA beer, i would never waste a beer on a die. What is your IPA stand for?
Context is everything my good man. Cleaning both dies and guns requires a good measure of both Isopropyl Alcohol and India Pale Ale. My guess is that we share a similar preference.

IPA = Isopropyl Alcohol. The 90% is preferred. A 2 bottle strap at Sam's Club is about the same price as 2 single bottles of 70% at WalMart.

I get 99.9% for about $12/945ml. I guess that's about a quart. FYI I don't need to know if that's wrong. I just can't believe that water helps.

I get 99.9% for about $12/945ml. I guess that's about a quart. FYI I don't need to know if that's wrong. I just can't believe that water helps.

Water won't hurt as long as you follow with a dry cloth/patch. If you can get the higher purity stuff by all means do so.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.