Cleaning sizing dies

I've never seen the IPA abbreviation, it makes sense. Up here in the Great White North I've mostly heard it referred to as ISO. Not to be confused with Iosso (great brass cleaner)

That's nothing. See what happens when you clean a transmission case in the dishwasher.

HAH! That sure conjures an image! I'll have to take your word for it, we have a good sized parts washer in the shop, and I think I'd rather scrub a transmission case than a clean a dishwasher anyway. :D

I have seen many ways to clean dies and they all work to a point, but the problem with cleaning them is storage after. After cleaning them you MUST spray them with some sort of rust preventive. After allowing the die to set a few minutes, wipe it and remove the excess preservative.

Dies will rust and ruin the polish inside. If you use a vibratory polish and don't clean the cases before sizing the abrasives and dust will build up in the die and cause problems. cleaning often is required if this process is used.

The amount of sizing lube/wax used will also determine the frequency of cleaning.

J E CUSTOM

I've never seen the IPA abbreviation, it makes sense. Up here in the Great White North I've mostly heard it referred to as ISO. Not to be confused with Iosso (great brass cleaner)

HAH! That sure conjures an image! I'll have to take your word for it, we have a good sized parts washer in the shop, and I think I'd rather scrub a transmission case than a clean a dishwasher anyway. :D

IPA has been a standard abbreviation for isopropyl alcohol since like forever. If you use only that solvent it's easy to see how it got called iso.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.