Cleaning/Break in question

birdiemc

So the latest break in thread convinced me to break out my rem 700 AAC 308win, factory barrel and try to clean it to bare metal. I didnt keep track of rounds but I would guess somewhere in the 300-400 range. I've "cleaned" it before, run a couple patches through after shooting it, but never done it the correct way apparently. So last night I got out some hoppes 9 and started cleaning on it.
I would run 4-5 soaked patches, scrub with bronze brush, 10-20 strokes, dry patches, repeat. After an hour in, I started leaving the bore wet for 10-20 minutes, then scrub and dry patch. I would think I got it cleaned then run some hoppes carbon removed, and it would come out black, so switch back to the previously described method. Spent about 3 hours on it last night, then left it soaking overnight, then probably 2 hours this morning. Never got any blue on my patches. Does this just mean that it's so filthy with carbon that I'm not even close to touching the copper fouling?
I did go shoot a brand new rifle today, which I cleaned the way some folks recommended in the break in thread, and that ended up giving me blue patches...which prompted the thought process that my 308 is just completely filthy. What do you think?

So the latest break in thread convinced me to break out my rem 700 AAC 308win, factory barrel and try to clean it to bare metal. I didnt keep track of rounds but I would guess somewhere in the 300-400 range. I've "cleaned" it before, run a couple patches through after shooting it, but never done it the correct way apparently. So last night I got out some hoppes 9 and started cleaning on it.
I would run 4-5 soaked patches, scrub with bronze brush, 10-20 strokes, dry patches, repeat. After an hour in, I started leaving the bore wet for 10-20 minutes, then scrub and dry patch. I would think I got it cleaned then run some hoppes carbon removed, and it would come out black, so switch back to the previously described method. Spent about 3 hours on it last night, then left it soaking overnight, then probably 2 hours this morning. Never got any blue on my patches. Does this just mean that it's so filthy with carbon that I'm not even close to touching the copper fouling?
I did go shoot a brand new rifle today, which I cleaned the way some folks recommended in the break in thread, and that ended up giving me blue patches...which prompted the thought process that my 308 is just completely filthy. What do you think?
It could well mean that Hoppes #9 didnt remove any copper because it doesnt remove copper very well at all!
Try some boretech eliminator or sweets, etc and ill bet it will turn blue/green.
Use Sweets according to label though or you could damage the barrel as its ammonia based.

I probably didnt state that properly, I used good old fashioned hoppes no 9, for the first part then switched to the hoppes copper remover product to try and get copper out, but like I said, that just kept coming out black, not blue.

The hoppes copper remover came out blue on the brand new rifle that I was shooting.

I plan to order some wipeout and boretech, but hoppes is all they had at the store I went to yesterday.

I probably didnt state that properly, I used good old fashioned hoppes no 9, for the first part then switched to the hoppes copper remover product to try and get copper out, but like I said, that just kept coming out black, not blue.

The hoppes copper remover came out blue on the brand new rifle that I was shooting.

I plan to order some wipeout and boretech, but hoppes is all they had at the store I went to yesterday.
Gotcha!

Well I broke out the new borescope and had a look, the bore is mostly clean, no copper visible at all, just got some tough carbon spots that aren't coming loose so gonna order some foaming cleaner to take care of them.
I see why folks say borescopes could be a bad idea for some...looking down that thing it's a miracle it will even hit the target, hopefully getting it all cleaned up right will help it to quit throwing fliers

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.