Cleaning brass - inside case still dirty??

A few years ago I realized that "wet" tumbling was a thing with products like Flitz and Barry's corn cob liquid polish.
Since then - I anneal , decap /size and trim then chamfer , deburr flash hole , brush primer pocket on my Lyman Case Prep Center - the finished cases are dropped into my RCBS Ultra Sonic Cleaner as I finish them on the Case Prep Center. I use Extreme Simple Green and distilled water. Extreme Simple Green is about $20 a gallon on Amazon and a gallon will last a few years. It's an aircraft approved non corrosive cleaner.
Once the cases have ran for a 25 min cycle I put them into a bowl of clean water to rinse - after they sit in the rinse for about 5 seconds I pour them back into the little strainer from the ultra sonic cleaner - jingle around a bit to drain the excess water then "pour" the wet cases right into my Cabelas tumbler with Barry's corncob media. Yes wet. Then put about an ounce of Barry's or Flitz tumbler polish over them and tumble over night (smart plug at the tumbler I can control from my phone via WiFi).
This has saved me all of the "drying" time and my cases come out beautiful.
I use a little Lyman flash hole pick tool and push it into every flash hole just to make sure.

I don't even clean my rifle brass most of the time. Wipe it down with a towel, hit it with a white 3M pad if there's carbon on the outside of the neck, spray, and resize. Nasty dirty suppressed AR cases get corn cob because they're nasty dirty gas impingement shot cases covered in oil because I run ARs wetter than a freshman on prom night, but most bolt action cases come out pretty clean to start with.

A drill press and a nylon pistol brush work pretty good.

J E CUSTOM
I essentially do the same as you, but I use a worn out bore brush chucked in a drill press spinning about 200 RPM. In & out 2 times & it's quite clean.
I should add that I use only neck turned brass for my 22-250 tight necked chamber. this brass has only .002" to .003" total clearance in the neck portion of the chamber. This has a number of advantages for me.
With the neck clearance that small, I've never had to resize the neck of my brass even after 16 reloads. I got this tip from a website that focuses on bench rest rifles only. When I read that many of these bench rest shooters were often getting 100 reloads or more before they needed to start with new brass again.
I also always tumble my brass in an old Thumblers Tumbler w/dry corn cob media.
At one time, I also used to use a mixture of Citric acid powder water which has some cleaning properties and will never damage brass.

Spencer

If anyone out there don't like there Thumlers Tumbler Mdl B I would be a buyer, also Harbor freight has theres on sale 39. and change for the tumbler but didn't catch how much on the ultra sonic.
Gene
I have a Thumlers Tumbler I've had for 40 years, The only thing I've had to do is replace the belt which simply a large O-Ring.
I prefer using dry Corn Cob media only because it doesn't make a mess like water does. I wouldn't sell it for fear could couldn't replace it.

Spencer

I've got one large Eloxite rock polisher type tumbler and a couple of the gallon sized rubber barrels.

I've got several smaller rock polisher tumblers that take pint or quart sized barrels as well, with multiple barrels for each.

All get run with water, Dawn, Lemishine and stainless steel pin media.

I have several Dia. of pin media on hand, chosen depending on flash hole Dia. (If you can get 3 pins in a triangle arrangement tightly stuck in a flash hole it's NOT a good choice... ).

I seldom have to do much to primer pockets and the inside of the cases come out clean as well

Last edited:
I also use an ultrasonic cleaner with Hornady One Shot cleaner. It cleans all of the baked on carbon in the primer pockets and cleans the inside of the case necks. I dry the cases with compressed air. If you need them really shiny follow up with vibratory tumbling in treated walnut or corn cob media.

How much SSM does it take in a TT? How full are the tubs with brass and how much open space is left inside the tub?