Inside neck/case cleaning

bob4

I read something either on this forum or another about a build up of media and polish (like Nu Finish) on the inside of necks. Sure enough when I took a close look at some of my 270 necks they certainly had some of this build up. No doubt in my mind this would have an effect on accuracy and if there is build up on the walls also, less case volume and same load means more pressure. As I looked at my tumbler last time I refreshed the media it showed the same build up. Wasn't sharp enough to put 2 + 2 together.:rolleyes: Now I'm wondering how much build up is inside my case walls? Considering going back to wet tumble or forgetting the Nu Finish. I use about a cap full per load in a Lyman 1200 tumbler.

The buildup of stuff in case necks may or may not make a difference, It does if you can see a difference between those with to those without it.

I always run rifle cases once on and off a bore brush spinning in a drill press before cleaning them.

Others will leave that powder residue inside the case mouth.

4, perhaps try just the stainless pin wet media cleaning. All powder residue is gone inside and even the primer pockets are clean. The brass looks like virgin new inside and out. Most say they'll never go back to dry media or sonic cleaning. Good luck

what cleaning solution and polish combo do you use for the water with the SS pins?

teaspoon of liquid dishwashing detergent (I use Ajax myself) and a dash of Lemishine and I've heard (but haven't tried) an ordinary asprin tablet.

Start with warm water. Makes it go faster. No other additives needed.

Sold my dry media outfit on CL.....

Pretty much same as side car. 2 drops of dish soap. dash of Lemi shine. I switched back to dry tumble and I'm not sure why. Probably could do a few more at a time. I just have a 3LB rotary tumbler I picked up cheap off of CL just to give it a try. I liked it a lot but very limited on amount per load.

I'll add to the ss media method. I was having issues w/ getting my pockets completely clean so I found some jewelry media that is very short, short enough to fit in and fall out of the primer pockets... wala.. clean as a whistle.

I use squirt of dawn, either lemon shine or vinegar and water. Spring for the frankfurt arsenal tumbler along w/ the magnet, you'll be glad you did. I originally opted for a rock tumbler but the FF Arsenal is way better and worth the expense. I recall seeing them on sale somewhere for 168.

Whats the story behind the aspirin?

Reading at accurateshooter many competitive shooters do not like removing the carbon from the inside of the cases necks. They do not like wet tumbling and squeaky clean necks as it effects bullet release and bullets bonding to the inside of the case necks.

These same shooters do not want to get any abrasive material from dry tumbling media in their custom barrels.

I wet tumble and dip my case necks in graphite to lube the inside of the necks and thus coat the inside of the necks with carbon before bullet seating.

Brushing will not get the abrasive polish out of the cases and washing in soap and water may not cut through any wax and abrasive material.

If you Google the subject you will see people rinsing/washing these cases using soap and water, alcohol, paint thinner, etc. to remove any abrasive material or car wax from the inside of the cases.

For me wet tumbling and dry graphite on the case necks works the best with less headaches.

I went the cheap rout on this. I bought a harbor freight 2 can rock polisher and now have 2 clean large apple sauce jars that came from Walmart. Kids like apple sauce. The jars are plastic and have a indention on each side that allow the shells to rotate and flop around in the stainless media. I think I also got the 5lbs of media from cabelas or harbor freight. Total is like 50 bucks. Brass is cleaned as the usual way dawn an lemishine. I can do 20 plus brass in one jar. So for me this work out great and brass is very clean. Not sure if I have noticed any ill effects by doing it this way but brass is very clean. Just don't leave it in the water for a long time or the cases turn blue. :D

I'll add to the ss media method. I was having issues w/ getting my pockets completely clean so I found some jewelry media that is very short, short enough to fit in and fall out of the primer pockets... wala.. clean as a whistle.

I use squirt of dawn, either lemon shine or vinegar and water. Spring for the frankfurt arsenal tumbler along w/ the magnet, you'll be glad you did. I originally opted for a rock tumbler but the FF Arsenal is way better and worth the expense. I recall seeing them on sale somewhere for 168.

One of these days when I go to Fin, Feather and Fur, we need to have lunch...I'll buy.

Someone somewhere told me to put in an aspirin, what for, I have no idea.

Amazon for the FA tumbler with pins, screens and a sample of their cleaner (which I never used).....168 bucks....

Gotta pick your noodle, where did you find smaller stainless pins at? I can't find them anywhere....

I used Simple Green as well. It works just as good and less suds. Basically, whatever the wife has under the sink works....

I went the cheap rout on this. I bought a harbor freight 2 can rock polisher and now have 2 clean large apple sauce jars that came from Walmart. Kids like apple sauce. The jars are plastic and have a indention on each side that allow the shells to rotate and flop around in the stainless media. I think I also got the 5lbs of media from cabelas or harbor freight. Total is like 50 bucks. Brass is cleaned as the usual way dawn an lemishine. I can do 20 plus brass in one jar. So for me this work out great and brass is very clean. Not sure if I have noticed any ill effects by doing it this way but brass is very clean. Just don't leave it in the water for a long time or the cases turn blue. :D

Ah..... Polish annealing......:D:D:D

Does the Harbor Freight tumbler come with drums, or do you have to supply your own? How much better do the cases come clean using the apple sauce containers??

I think it's because any tumbling, whether wet or dry, is a bit of a headache. Someone just got confused on the instructions and threw it in with the cleaner instead of taking it by mouth like a normal person would. :D

I usually just run a bore brush inside the neck a couple of times. Gets the loose crud out, but not much else. I run NuFinish with a capful or two of mineral spirits but I only add it every 4 or 5 batches. If I haven't tumbled for a while or if I have left the lid off the tumbler, I'll add some mineral spirits and run it for 15 minutes or so before adding the brass.

Matt

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.