Clean cold MOI

James DeTorre

It seems from hunters point that maintenance of point of impact in clean cold barrel is way more important than tight string of shots from the range. What's the group do to help this?

Not sure what your asking here but yes a cold bore shot from a cleaned rifle will shoot different(possibly 1/2 to 1 moa at 100yrds) so its important from a hunting perspective because probably 9 out of 10 shots are going to be like this, you need to be able to adjust for this on the fly OR just set your rifle/scope up for it beforehand.

Imo the shooting a cold bore shot from a fouled barrel would have a lesser affect??

This is why i hunt with HBN coated bullets. POI does not change between cold bore and the next one from a fouled barrel. Few rifles will do this without it. Most will with HBN. You have to leard the stuff though, just like any other component.

Orange have you tried just coating the barrel? I have some but it always seems like more of a hassle as I'd have to redo load work. But just curious if you've ever tried just coating the barrel and seen if it gives any effect. My thought process would be either bullet or barrel would work but it would wear off the barrel from shot to shot would be my guess.

Coating the barrel is part of the cleaning process. The final patch is a mix of HBN and alcohol. All it does is hasten the barrel coming "back in" after cleaning. I then shoot three rounds with a reduced load after cleaning to reestablish the bore, then GTG. Like I said, you have to learn this stuff just like any other component. Treating the bore will not work alone.

That's why I have not done it. My rifle shoots great with a clean bore cause that all it ever has. Because I use different rifles during season I rarely get more than 50 rounds then it get cleaned and oiled for winter. Then 2-3 rounds after dry patch and it's back on zero.

That's why I have not done it. My rifle shoots great with a clean bore cause that all it ever has. Because I use different rifles during season I rarely get more than 50 rounds then it get cleaned and oiled for winter. Then 2-3 rounds after dry patch and it's back on zero.
It is a lot of trouble.

HBN has another weird perk that I must mention, and, along with cold bore hits makes it worth the trouble for me. Stable Velocities. With a good load you may just think your chrono is broke. You might shoot three in a row and get the same velocity, shoot another and it drops 2fps, etc. This is with a big overbore magnum like a 28 Nosler or a .300RUM. It is also a big pain with HP bullets. Will clog the tips and you have to unplug them. I usually use a tipped bullet of some sort. Running 190ABLR in my RUM and 162eldx's in my 28.

I haven't tried HBN.

I zero. Put it up. Do not clean. Next time out, one shot and a follow up, put it up, do not clean. I do this to test for consistent first shot and follow up.

It seems from hunters point that maintenance of point of impact in clean cold barrel is way more important than tight string of shots from the range. What's the group do to help this?

I rarely completely clean a rifle unless I see pressure or accuracy problems showing.

When I do, I'll immediately put two or three foulers through and check zero, make the necessary adjustments and leave it alone.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.